Alpha - Checkmate - Chapter 5

The crowded university corridor instantly grew hushed once people noticed my presence. Click. Clack. Click. Clack. Fuck! My ankle is killing me! Why did I wear heels?! I walked at a stable pace over the polished tiles with my chin held high as the gawking eyes trailed after me from either side of the packed pathway. I averted my eyes away from the attentive mass to concentrate my gaze on the wide-open auditorium door with a blank face.

The Annual Council Election Conference

The banner loomed above me as I strode inside the school council hall to find a circular room filled with layered seats. It's my first time in this spacious venue. I scanned the two empty seats at the top of the conference hall. Withdraw my secretary application? I smirked as I eyed the president's seats and gradually entered the room to approach the lower rows.

"Sora!" Hoseok called, excitedly waving at me from my left-hand side as he sat in a decent black suit.

"You're really handsome," I nodded at Hoseok, causing his cheeks to flush red after sitting beside him in my plain knee-length dress.

"You're the main character in this room," Hoseok nudged my arm.

"Main character? We're all the supporting roles in this room," I scoffed.

Taehyung suddenly entered the hall in his tailored ink-black suit and pushed-back hair. I pursed my lips to watch Taehyung march past us with his eyes fixed directly on his seat without sparing anyone a glimpse of his attention. His energy... it's so... assertive? Anyone in the room could sense his rigorous authoritative leadership because the entire room suddenly held their breath upon his presence. Kim Taehyung calmly ascended the stairs and sat in the president's seat. Still, he didn't look at anyone. The alpha glanced down at the device on his desk with a cold expression.

"I thought you applied for Namjoon's role?" Hoseok blinked, curiously smiling at me.

"I withdrew all of my applications," I shook my head but immediately paused when everyone turned their head toward the entrance again once another alpha showed up.

His vibrant presence, sweeping across the council with so much force, I could almost feel his power in the atmosphere. I had to stop breathing for a good five seconds... upon witnessing the powerful shock waves of his overwhelming ambition. Unlike Taehyung... Seokjin had this saintly aura around him. A godlike presence. I sternly scanned the hushed space as Kim Seokjin strolled into the room in his dashing suit and sleek pushed-back hair with a slight smile. It's so pleasing to admire his visuals. Seokjin wore a prideful smile as he made his way up the stairs with one hand in his pocket.

"Why did you withdraw the application? Is it because of Namjoon?" Hoseok gasped, but I wasn't paying attention to him. I carefully observed Seokjin from my row as he wiped his desk with a sanitary wipe before disposing of it. Seokjin briefly glanced at Taehyung, who was also eyeing him with a grim expression.

Seokjin smirked, then turned to stare at the council hall with his hands clasped together as if to oversee his followers and foes. Unlike Taehyung... Seokjin is extremely attentive to the crowd. The alpha observes every presence within the room as Taehyung remains motionless with his stern gaze on the documents. I blinked out of my thoughts when Seokjin's eyes landed on mine. He didn't glance away and kept his eyes on me, so I awkwardly waved at him. He smiled at my reaction and lowered his face to skim through the document with a slight smirk.

"Namjoon hasn't spoken to me since the party," I sighed, finally averting my eyes to Hoseok.

"He shouldn't be like this. I'll talk to him if you want-"