Twist of faith

Monday October 17, 2022:

Esmee POV

∞∞∞∞∞∞

We get out of the car and Julia storms into the school without looking back.

Feeling tired I look at the sky. Was this something which could be avoided?

Oh, shit that reminds me!

I bend forward and look through the open window of the car.

'Dimitri...' I call out.

'Yes ma'am?' He looks at me.

'If Killian were to ask you something about me. And you think that it violates my privacy, then don't give him the information. And if he ever has a problem regarding you withholding the information, feel free to send him my way.' I look intense into his eyes.

He smiles in a sly way, 'I will do ma'am. Thank God I'm your protector, not his.'

I smile back, 'It's not God. It's faith.'

He grins, 'Some ague it to be the same thing.'

I pull back, 'I see you after class. Have a good day.'

He nods and drives away.

'Come.' Maddy pulls at my jacket, 'We're going to be late for class.'

•••••••••••

The entire day I felt awful. But why?

Is it because I hang up on Killian?

Is it because we had our first fight?

Or is it because I know that he worries, and I just made his worries worse? And if that's so, does that make me a bad person?

To put it all together, I feel like a pile of human misery and despair. I've been unable to concentrate all day. Never thought a man would be able to do that to me.

And why do I obsess over a man so much?

And since when did I become such a simpering girl?

In frustration I groan out loud.

Suddenly I feel eyes looking at me.

I lift my head up from my desk and see that all my biology classmates look at me, including the teacher.

'Sorry.' I mumble ashamed while looking with a red face at my lap.

'Are you okey Esmee?' The teacher asks me.

I nod, 'Yes, I'm fine mrs van den heuvel, please continue.' Could this be more embarrassing?

At that moment the school bell rings, and I walk out of the class still with a red face.

In the hallway I bump into Emma?

She looks at me out of the corner of her eye, 'Are you okey? You look a little... weird.'

I sigh and walk faster. I need to get away from all the stimuli around me. It is all simply too much.

'No.' I squeak out. I open the bathroom door and Emma walks in with me. I close the door behind us.

I check all the bathroom stalls, and see that nobody is in here.

I bend over the bathroom sink and take some deep breaths.