Pistachio Macarons

Adrien wiped his hands on his apron before rushing to the counter with a pant.
The line was growing longer and longer by the minute.

He should've never suggested the buy one get one free of everything. Especially while Tom and Sabine were away on a trip together.

They suggested to close the bakery down until they returned but Adrien insisted on running it for them.

By himself.

"Excuse-moi, pregnant lady coming through."

The brunette skipped past everyone in line dragging her defeated husband behind her.

"Adrien! I need four large boxes of pistachio macarons. RAPIDE!"

The man behind her tapped her shoulder with a grumpy expression.

"Hey! You can't just skip in line! Ce n'est pas juste!"

"Buddy, life ain't fair. Try carrying the weight of a baby! Your feet are constantly swollen and-"

"Here you go, Alya. That'll be € 50.47 after my employee discount."

Her expressions completely changed when Adrien handed her the boxes that she ordered every single day after finding out she was pregnant. He always kept them ready for when she came in and he always gave them his employee discount since they were very close friends of his.

Nino groaned, pulling his wallet out.

"You're draining me, Als."

She shot a glare at him and he quickly handed Adrien the money.

They went to sit at a small table in the corner so Alya could eat as they waited for Adrien to close the bakery which they did nearly every day.

Adrien had to, not only make the pastries, but serve them as well. He usually got to the bakery two hours before his shift started so he could have an early start at baking.
Sometimes he would even prep the day before at the end of his shift if he wasn't too tired.

Five years of baking practice with Tom and Sabine really paid off. He'd learned so much from them and he actually really enjoyed it.

It kept him busy.

It kept his mind off of her.

When the last of the customers left the bakery, he glanced at his watch.

His shift ended an hour ago.

He groaned as he rushed to the door, turning the open sign to 'closed' and locking the bakery door before anyone else could come in.

"Need help cleaning, dude?"

Nino was already standing and making his way over as Adrien turned his attention to him.

"No-no. I got this, you don't have to."

"Let me help you, dude. It's the least I can do."

Adrien slipped his apron off, sighing.

"Thanks, man."