On The Same Page

Every thing seemed to slow down around him. The room became stuffy and the walls blended with each other as the man that stood in front of him called his name.

"Adrien? Adrien?"

Nino guided the blonde over to some chairs and sat him down. He handed him a bottle of water, making sure he took a sip of it. Adrien slowly shook his head as the reality of what he'd done came crashing around him.

"How am I going to tell Marinette? She's going to be so pissed at me."

"Well, there's two ways. Either tell her the truth or make up a very believable lie as to why Lorenzo had to leave without saying goodbye."

"I don't want to lie to her, man. I can't tell her the truth either though."

"I really don't know what to tell you, dude. I'm sorry."

Nino shrugged and sat in the chair beside him, slumping down.

"I just-"

He quickly closed his mouth as the door swung open and Marinette stepped out.

"Hey, Alya wants to see you."

She smiled at Nino and took his seat when he got up to go into the room where his wife was.

"You're pale. Are you feeling okay?"

She turned to her boyfriend, concerned. He looked like a train wreck. Instead of answering her, he wrapped his arms around her and buried his face into her shoulder as tears soaked Marinette's shirt.

"I'm sorry! I tried. I really, really tried. The anger just got to me because she hurt you again and I should feel terrible about it but I don't and I don't want you to hate me because I love you, Marinette. So if you-"

"Hey, hey, Adrien. What are you talking about?"

She rested her hand on his shoulder but it soon flew away as he stood up quickly. She jumped back at his sudden reaction.

"Adrien, please tell me what's going on. I want to help you, I really do, but I can't if you won't tell me what's bothering you."

Adrien buried his face in his hands and shook his head.

"I can't. You'll be mad at me, I swear you will."

"Adrien, you can't decide my feelings for me and you'll never know unless you explain."

Marinette's face fell as the worst came to mind. She stood up and walked over to him, resting both of her hands on his biceps, trying to comfort him again. This time, he didn't pull away.

"Did you... cheat on me? As much as I hate that idea, I can see how much it's affecting you and I can promise you that we can work through it if you're willing to-"

"No! I didn't cheat on you. Mari, I'd never cheat on you. Not in this lifetime and not in the next. But..."

He pulled away and turned his back to her, looking out of the empty waiting room window. Everything else seemed to be normal. The cars that went by below, the people that hurried down the streets. Normal. But he didn't feel normal. No one would've guessed the former model and superhero just murdered someone.

He put a hand on the glass and lowered his head before turning back to Marinette.

"Do you remember when I told you I'd protect you? Before you went to America, before you knew I was Adrien. I told you that, no mattered how bad it got or... what you did, I'd still love you. Remember?"

Marinette nodded silently as Adrien went on.

"You would do the same for me, right? You'd love me no matter what, right?"

"Of course, Adrien. You've done so much for me and I want to repay you in any way possible."

Marinette held her hand close to her chest, trying to stop the shaking as she watched him pace back and forth. Then, he came to a stop. When they locked eyes, she couldn't help but notice how dark they seemed. It was as if the light was drained from them. They weren't the bright green color they used to be.

He held out his hand to her and opened his fist. Her eyes widened when she saw the brooch that laid flat on his palm.

"I thought someone took it."

She reached out for it and took it, examining it. She hadn't seen it in years.

"They did. But I got it back for you. As heroes, it's our job to protect others from evil."

"Who? Who would've known that I had it?"

"Do you remember Lila Rossi?"

His voice lowered as he stepped closer to the bluenette. She felt her heart race quicken at the name as she nodded. A feeling of fear pushed it's way up.

"I know this is going to sound crazy but she was determined to get back at you. She turned it into an obsession. She followed you to America and pretended to be someone else just to get close to you and ruin everything all over again!"

He put a hand on her shoulder and pressed his forehead against hers. Would he regret telling her this? He wanted to, but he didn't want to turn her against him.

"Lorenzo..."

Marinette swallowed the lump that was forming in her throat as she whispered out his name. Adrien closed his eyes from a brief moment and nodded.

"I'm gonna kill her."

She gritted her teeth together as she jerked away from the blonde, almost making him fall face first to the floor. She stomped to the elevator but before she could push the button, Adrien grabbed her wrist.

"Mari, I'm glad we're on the same page but..."

He looked down and shook his head.

"You can't kill someone if they're already dead."