Rain Drops

This is my first attempt at a reader insert! :) I've read many and tried to do it justice (as well as Crosshair's personality) so I'd appreciate any constructive criticism you guys have to offer! Also no use of Y/N because I don't particularly like reading it much.

Small background on this: Reader is a defective clone like the bad batch. Enhancements (or defects) are up to your imagination as they aren't specified. Reader is also close with Crosshair from when they both were young. First part takes place during cadet years, second part is anytime after the Empire started but before S2 Ep8.

Enjoy! :)

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Plink.

Plink.

The soft pitter patters of rain dropplets on the glass windows distracted you from your studies. You watched them strike the window and made a mental race between the water droplets as they streaked down. The one you were rooting for won as it joined the puddle of water on the window sill. Noticing the light softness of this particular rainstorm-if it could even be called that-you shutdown your datapad and jumped up off your bunk.

"Cross! It's raining!" You exclaimed, excitedly.

"And?" The sniper drawled, cleaning his brand new Firepuncher rifle. He hadn't let the gun out of his sight since he recieved it. "It's Kamino. It's always raining here."

"Come on! 99 told me that the next time it rains like this, he can sneak us onto a landing platform for a bit."

He smiled at your enthusiasm. You had always enjoyed the rain and somehow managed to drag Crosshair along to watch it fall from a young age. He didn't how or when but it sort of became your thing when the rain wasn't a full on storm.

"Alright. But if we get caught, this all on you." He said, as he gently placed his new gun down on his mattress and followed you to find 99. Once the old clone was made aware of the weather outside, he took them to a landing platform near enough to their room that they coud make a run for it if necessary.

"Here you are, ad'ika. Don't stay out here for too long. Nala Se would be very unhappy if you caught something." 99 cautioned before leaving the two cadets so he could finish cleaning the Mess . Evidently, the 501st (specifically a certain CT-5555) had managed to start another food fight/brawl. 

The sound of the rain hitting the pavement that had already gathered a layer of water sounded almost unreal. The way it just bounced up in the air after striking the ground before joining the puddle never ceased to make you feel at peace. Soft fog rolled in the distance as you two sat down. You and Crosshair always sat near the door for two reasons; the balcony above provided cover and it was logical to be near the door in the event they had to run back to the bunks. It didn't happen often but you never know.

You pulled your knees to your chest, resting your chin in between both knees. Crosshair sat with one leg outstretched, one bent, his arm resting lazily atop his knee. You both didn't talk, just watched. Maybe that's why he had agreed to this so early on. He hadn't been much of a conversationalist when he was younger which carried as he grew. He loved listening to Tech just ramble on about some backwater planet because it gave him a constant source of noise that he didn't need to engage in. Sitting out here, enjoying the sound and even the smell of rain, he got that quiet time while also a constant noise of pitter-pattering rain and a bonus of a person there next to him.

Both of you stayed in that place for close to a half hour, just silently watchin the rain fall, before Tech commed saying that Nala Se was going to make her rounds soon. He also mentioned something about Hunter and a sensory overload caused by his intense training which made you both speed up a bit more.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

That was a few years ago. Now, you lived in constant fear of the Empire as you traversed the galazy with your brothers and sister. The turn of the war was something not even Tech could've predicted. But Crosshair leaving was truely a shock. Sure, as a cadet, he threatened to leve the batch but even he knew that was and empty threat. Now, in the time of the Empire, Crosshair had made his decision but that didn't mean that you all agreed or even accepted it. Thousands of questions stirred in your brain: Was his chip still in? Did he really get removed? How could he be so blind? 

But one question surpassed the others: How could we all leave him when it's not entirely his fault?

Currently, they were on their way back from a job for Cid. Echo was stretched out on his hammock, taking a well deserved nap. Wrecker was playing a holo-board game with Hunter. You were leaning against Gonky, a pillow in between your back and the hard metal droid. Tech was teaching Omega about rain on different planets. 

When Omega was introduced to the idea that rain had a certain pleasant smell after it rained on a planet with soil, she immediately wanted to travel. So Hunter, being the softie he's always been around the young clone, made a pit stop on the way to Ord Mantell.

You weren't aware of the stop, as you had turned out everything in favor of a book you found, nor the planet that Tech had chosen suitable. All you heard was the familiar taps of rain against the Marauder's roof and you smiled. Many clones hated the constant tapping of rain after growing up with it and having it mess with their sleep. You practically lived off of it. It calmed you in so many ways after grueling training sessions.

Omega, being as excited as she was, bounded out of the ship before the ramp had fully hit the rich soil. The smell of wet soil and rain hit you and you remembered a time when you we're in Omega's place, almost ripping off Crosshair's arm in an attempt to pull him into the rain with you. You danced and yelled as the rain hit your head and face, your blacks seeping up the water that hit your body. You hadn't much cared how wet you got as long as the resident grumpy sniper joined in on all the fun. In the end, Crosshair had stepped out into the rain for a few moments. Not to dance, of course. Just to splash a puddle with enough force to fully drench you.

Rain was your thing together. The thing that bonded you together in some weird way. As you stood, you caught youself before yelling at the sniper to race to the ramp. 

The non-existant sniper. 

You'd never made the mistake of accidentally calling Crosshair. It hurt to much when you thought of him. You heard how Tech had said, "Pass me that tool, Cross." You saw it in the way Hunter had always made two cups of caf in the early morning for nearly a week after Crosshair left. The way Wrecker's nightmares got worse without the knowledge that the sniper was sleeping in the bunk above his.

But now, being blasted into the memories you shared, you had almost managed to forget that the brother you were the closest with wasn't there. Just like the others.

You sat back down, returning to your datapad as tears sprung to your eyes. You heard Omega's gleeful shouts and saw through your peripherals the way she danced and splashed in the rain as those tears hit your datapad.

Plink.

Plink.