Sunghoons narrative

Sunghoon entered his small, one person apartment, took off his coat and hung up his skating bag, took off his shoes and walked to the kitchen. He put down his grocery bags on the counter and began to put away the items.

If it seems like Sunghoon has a relatively normal life, don't be fooled. Sunghoons life was anything but normal. He had never known his biological parents so if you looked around his place you wont see any pictures. The pictures you will see would be of his sister.

Sunghoon had been hopping from foster home to foster home till he was nine years old. He didn't really care. By then he could basically claim the world record for being the youngest kid to visit all of Korea in record time.

The worst part was when Sunghoon got adopted. Sure, it wasn't all bad. He got his sister whom he loved. He could finally unpack his suitcase that kept all his stuff. The other kids thought he was some god or whatever.

His new parents though. That was the problem. They didn't actually want him like normal people who go to a foster home would. All they wanted was someone to release their anger out on because the world apparently was too big. And they would never hurt their daughter. All he was was their punching bag. Sunghoon angrily shoved a carton of milk in the fridge.

Sunghoons new sister...she was amazing. Her name was Ryujin and she was basically his mother throughout his childhood even though she was like only three years older. Whenever the so called parents had something new to be mad at and wanted to release it, Ryujin was always there to protect him. Honestly their parents need mental help. At any rate she became Sunghoons favorite person.

Her help though...it didn't really help herself. The 'parents' stopped the whole 'we-wont-hurt-our-daughter' act and Ryujin would get hurt right along side her brother. Sunghoon even developed a fear of standing up for himself.

Sunghoon was 16 when his sister had enough. She stood up for both of them for the first time, or tried to. Her parents weren't having it. They beat her harder than they ever have. That day Sunghoon could never forget. The police taking his parents away. A paramedic bandaging his wounds. The detective, and an officer trying to comfort him and calm him down. And the other EMTs loading his sister, on life support, into the ambulance.

Sunghoon squeezed his eyes shut at the memory. He was not crying. No. 'Think of something else.' His parents got arrested that day. That was good. And since he could, he got to move out of that cursed house and live on his own. Sunghoon followed his dream of figure skating. Ryujin once said she thought he would be good at it and now it was his dream.

Life six years after what he called T. I. W. D. N. T. D. (The incident we don't need to discuss) wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. Sunghoon found a job at a nearby cafe. The money he earned was barely enough to cover his living expenses and his sisters hospital bills but he managed. He would go to his university and after either go to practice or work, visit his sister if he had time, then go home, sleep and repeat.

Sunghoons one chance of getting recognized as a good figure skater was an ice skating competition. If you won you got a professional trainer, and a shot at being in the Olympics. And every year he gets turned down. To enter you got to have money which Sunghoon unfortunately lacks.

'Only a few more years of saving,' Sunghoon thought. 'I know i have the skill to enter. I just need the money. I'll get there. I promised Ryujin i would.'