Chapter 12: Don't Bother Coming Back

Evelyn was sitting in class taking a test but her mind couldn't be any father from what the test was about. She normally did really good in school and on tests but lately she has had so much on her mind. She ended up staying at Toppers the other night after he confessed to missing Sarah. Yeah he had tried to kiss her and it made things a bit awkward but she knew he needed her. This whole time he had been taking care of her and her feelings when he was hurting just as much. Evelyn felt like a horrible friend for not even considering his feelings.

"Mr. Sunn, can I borrow Pope for a minute?" a guys asked as he walked in the classroom.

"We're in the middle of a test right now," Mr. Sunn replied

"I'm from the Vanderhorst Foundation," the guy said.

Evelyn looked over questioningly at the guy. Why would someone from a scholarship foundation that Pope lost want to talk to him.

"Mr. Heyward, it's for you," Mr. Sunn said.

Pope got up from his seat and followed the man out of the classroom. Evelyn looked over at Kie giving her a questioning look seeing if she knew what was going on. Kie just shrugged her shoulders at the girl.

"Make sure we're keeping our eyes on our own papers," Mr. Sunn said.

Evelyn turned back toward her test but kept stealing glances at the door waiting for Pope to reenter the classroom. After a few minutes Pope came through the door with wide eyes.

"Okay, what was that?" Kie whispered.

Pope held up and envelope that was in his hand. There was seal on the back displaying the wheat symbol.

"Is that the wheat symbol?" Evelyn asked.

"Yeah," Pope said.

"What the f--fu..fu..fudge," JJ stammered.

"What the fuck is going on," Evelyn whispered.

"I don't know but we need to find out," Pope said.

--

"Is this a game of tag?" JJ asked as the group walked into the library.

As soon as the bell rang dismissing them from Mr. Sunn's class the group booked it to the library. They needed to find out more about the envelope Pope was given.

"I don't know," Pope said.

"Am I gonna have to beat you with your protractor? What's going on?" JJ asked as the librarian shushed him.

"Seriously, Pope, you are driving me insane," Kie agreed.

"Okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee," Pope said, "Take a look at this."

JJ grabbed the envelope out of Pope's hand, "Read it!"

"Out loud," Kie told JJ.

JJ looked down at the paper and then up at his friends around him, "I can't read cursive."

Evelyn gave him a questioning look before grabbing the paper out of his hand to read it.

"Dear Mr. Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B Routledge," Evelyn read glancing up at Pope, "It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at 27 King Street, Charleston at 8:00 p.m. sharp tonight. Please come alone. Regards, C. Limbrey."

"Charleston?" JJ questioned.

"It's like an eight-hour drive plus the ferry," Pope said, "How are we gonna get there tonight?"

"We'd have to leave right now," JJ said.

"I have a free period," Kie said.

"Material evidence? What doesn't that mean? Material evidence," JJ whispered.