Chapter 30: This Isn't The Goonies

JJ honked the truck horn as he backed it up to pull the Twinkie out. Evelyn looked out at John B, Sarah, Pope, and Kie who were sitting on top of the van.

"Where the hell were you guys?" Kie yelled as Evelyn got out of the truck.

"Paternal complications," Evelyn said looking at JJ.

"Luke was at the Chateau," JJ said.

"Oh great! While you were having family time with your pops, John B got bit by a gator," Pope said.

"Like for real?" JJ asked.

"Does it look like we're joking?" Sarah asked.

"Okay, what the hell happened?" Evelyn asked.

"What happened is I got bit by a gator!" John B yelled as Pope joined in.

"I don't know why I'm being yelled at!" Evelyn yelled back, "I put my ass on the line!"

"You're being yelled at because it was twenty minutes," John B and Pope argued.

"Okay well we got here as fast as we could," Evelyn argued.

The whole group started arguing with one another. Evenly understood the seriousness of John B getting bit but she didn't think they had any right to be yelling at her. If it wasn't for her and JJ the Twinkie would be stuck forever.

"Shut up!" JJ yelled making everyone stop arguing, "Seriously, guys, I can't take it anymore, all right? Everyone just cut it out for a second."

Evenly huffed crossing her arms over her chest as JJ leaned up against tree.

"Look, I just helped my dad leave this island for good. Like, he's not ever coming back. He's straight up like the Spanish. Just, 'Bon voyage'."

Evelyn turned to look at JJ questioningly to see if he would correct himself.

"All we got..." JJ started, "And I know for a fact all I got is you guys, okay? You're it."

JJ looked up, locking eyes with Evelyn. She sent him a reassuring smile.

"And I've come too close to losing you, all of you," JJ said, "I mean, shit, like Evelyn and Kie, you guys almost downed. Pope, you were kidnapped. Sarah, you've been shot. John B, you were almost dinner for a freaking gator, bro. So, this blaming each other is some Kook-ass bullshit, all right? We don't do that. Okay? We're Pogues."

Evelyn knew that JJ was right. Pretty much all she had was the people who were standing around her. Sure, unlike JJ she still technically had her parents, but they weren't even speaking to her right now.

"Sorry, that was a lot right now," JJ admitted, "I didn't mean to..."

The group of friends broke out in applause for JJ. Evelyn was proud of him.

"Well-done," Pope said.

"I gotta be honest, that was the best freaking speech you have ever given," John B said, "Also, you should think about, like, a Rosetta Stone because your Spanish and French are flip-flopped."

JJ flipped off John B as he tried not to laugh.

"We should bon voyage our here," Sarah suggested.

"All right, let's get this damn Twinkie out of here," JJ said walking toward the truck.

After getting everything hooked up Evelyn walked to the drivers seat of the truck and started it. She was going to drive the truck while Sarah steered the Twinkie.

"Keep it coming," JJ yelled to Evelyn., "Keep her coming. She's almost out."

Evelyn pressed on the gas trying to get more power to pull out the van.