Chapter 29: Miss Figure Eight

Evelyn and JJ creeped up toward Evelyn's parents house. She knew this was a stupid move and her parent may never forgive her after this, but she had to do it for John B.

"Are you sure you want to do this, a little Dad Theft Auto?" JJ asked as they hid behind the truck.

Evelyn peaked over the truck, not seeing anyone.

"No," Evelyn said turning back to JJ.

"All right, here we go," JJ said.

Evelyn slowly walked up to the house. She felt like her heart was going to jump out of her chest. She squeezed her eyes shut, letting out a deep breath.

"Here we go," she whispered to herself as she opened the front door slowly.

Evelyn peaked her head inside the door checking to make sure no one was standing there. The laughter of her parents made her stop. She listened closer and she could hear the sound of the TV. Pushing the door open just enough, she slid by, fully getting in the house. She quietly walked toward the hook that was near the front door where the family typically hung their keys. She let out a sigh of relief when she saw her dad's truck key was hanging right where it normally would be. Evelyn grabbed the key and turned around to leave.

"Do you think she's all right?" her mom asked, making Evelyn stop in her tracks.

"I'm sure she's fine, hun," her dad said.

"I'm just worried about her," Allison said.

"She made her decision. Sooner or later she's going to come to the conclusion that it was the wrong decision and she'll come home," Jake replied.

"I love you."

"I love you."

Evelyn squeezed her eyes shut as a tear slid down her face. She releases a shaky breath and continued to slowly walk out of the house, closing the door quietly behind her. She made her way toward JJ, throwing him the truck keys. She ran to the passenger side of the truck climbing in and quietly shutting the door. Evelyn wiped the tears from her eyes and she looked over at JJ.

"Are you okay?" JJ asked, noticing the girl crying.

"Yeah, I'm good," Evelyn said shaking her head.

JJ opened his mouth to tell her that it was okay but Evelyn cut him off, "Let's just go before they catch us."

JJ nodded his head starting up the truck and driving away. He reached his hand over, grabbing hers. She let out a shaky breath, fighting back tears as JJ gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. Evelyn knew that her mom was worried about her, but she was probably going to be pissed at her now. Her dad loved his truck, she just hoped that she could bring it back in one piece.

--

"This'll only take a sec. I think it's in the surf shack," JJ said as they pulled up to the Chateau, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's in the surf shack. I'll be right back. Got it."

JJ got out of the truck running toward the surf shack. He jumped over a stick, Evelyn grimacing as he face planted on the ground.

"Are you all right?" Evelyn yelled opening the truck door and stepping half out.

"I'm okay!" JJ yelled getting up immediately and continuing to run toward the surf shack.

"This boy is gonna seriously hurt himself one day," Evenly whispered to herself as she sat back in her seat.

Evelyn continued to wait for JJ in the truck but he was taking a lot longer than she anticipated. Maybe he needed help carrying the wench. She hopped out of the truck walking around to the front, "JJ!"