Chapter 31: Brink Of Death

Evelyn felt her body get pulled back as the cross smashed into the ground where Pope once lay.

"Pope, are you okay?" Kie asked as they all rushed to the boy.

"You good?" JJ asked.

"Yeah, I'm good. Just give me, like, one second to, like, catch my breath," Pope breathed out.

"You did it, Pope," John B said. A smile came to Evelyn's face as she looked at the cross in front of her. They had worked so hard to get to this moment.

"Pope, she's...she's beautiful," JJ said.

"I've never seen anything like it," Sarah commented.

"Detail's insane," JJ agreed.

"Well, here's why Limbrey wanted that key so bad," John B said pointing to a keyhole.

"Whoa. Good find. How much do you think she's worth?" JJ asked, "Like if we melted her old bones down, dude, I'm talking like high billions."

"This belongs in a-- No! This belongs in a museum," John B said.

"What? So no one sees her?" JJ asked.

"John B's right JJ," Evelyn agreed.

"In a museum where everyone sees it," John B said.

"Are you kidding me?" JJ said.

"Hey!" Pope yelled, "It's my ancestors' cross!"

"Right, okay. All right, all right. Well," JJ stuttered.

"This is bigger than money, and the world's gotta know the truth," Pope said.

"Yes. If we don't get this outta here before Limbrey gets here, nobody's gonna know," John B said, "So saddle up."

"It's heavy like right here," JJ said. Evelyn walked around to the other side of the cross ready to help carry it.

"Wait. Hold on. John B, you're gonna pull, all right? Pull down," JJ instructed from his spot by the cross.

"I'm gonna pull down. You guys pull up," John B said, "Ready? One, two, three." The whole group grunted as they all pulled on the cross lifting it from the ground. This cross was a lot heavier than she had anticipated.

"Okay. I got it," JJ grunted as he got under the cross, "Who's not lifting right now? Sarah, are you seriously lifting?"

"I'm lifting!" Sarah yelled at JJ.

"Move forward," Kie instructed.

"It doesn't feel like it," JJ groaned.

"I am," Sarah assured. Evenly could feel the cross starting to get heavier on her and Pope's side. She glanced over at the boy and could tell that he was struggling.

"Ah, okay, guys. I can't. I can't," Pope said as he started to loosen his grip.

"No, Pope," Evelyn pleaded knowing that if he let go she wouldn't be able to hold their side.

"No, no, Pope!" JJ yelled, "Hang on there! No, no, no, no, no, no!"

Pope let go of the cross making it slip out of Evelyn's hands at the weight of it.

"Damn it! You almost dropped it on my foot!" JJ exclaimed toward Sarah.

"Because I'm the only one lifting it!" Sarah yelled back.

"Oh, you sure--"

"Okay, okay, okay," John B said trying to break up their argument, "Listen, we'll make like a sling, like a little--"