Chapter 14: Friendships Mean Everything

"They're a bunch of fancy people. They've had three governor's in the family. They've run Charleston for, like, 300 years," Kie said as they pulled up to the house.

"These Kooks make our Kook look like Pogues," JJ commented.

Evelyn looked up at the house, it could be described as a house that could be used in a horror film.

"Are you sure this is the place Pope?" Evelyn asked.

"Pretty sure," Pope said.

"All right," JJ said opening the truck door and getting out.

Evelyn slid across the seat following JJ out of the truck.

"Fat city for sure," JJ said looking up at the house.

"Twenty-seven King Street," Pope said holding the letter up to compare the address.

"Talk about home security," JJ said examining the fence around the house, "Are those spiked to keep people out?"

"No," Evelyn said.

"The slave quarters are over there," Pope sighed, "There spikes were to keep people in."

Evelyn followed Pope up to the house and on to the front porch. He used the door knocker to knock on the front door rather loudly.

"Do you think that was too much?" Pope asked JJ.

"It echoed the entire house. That's for sure," JJ said, "So they definitely heard it."

"Maybe nobody's home," Kie said.

Pope being impatient decided to try and knock again. As he was in the middle of knocking the door swung open and a guy answered.

"You must be Pope," he said pointing toward the boy.

"Umm," Pope said glancing toward JJ, "Are you Mr. Limbrey?"

"Ms. Limbrey was expecting you yesterday," the guy said.

"Oh. I'm...I'm sorry. My car broke down on the way up here," Pope said.

"Carburetor blew up in the middle of Nowhereville," JJ said, "Sorry about that."

"Yeah. She was, uh, real upset when you didn't show up," the guy said.

"We tired to call but there was no number on the invitation," Kie said.

"We got here as fast as we could," Evelyn said.

"She also expected you to come alone," the man said.

"I mean, these are my friends. They helped find the Royal Merchant too. I--"

"Yeah the instructions were explicit. Your friends can stay outside," the man said.

"Well we're kind of a package deal, man," JJ said.

"JJ. It's okay. I got this," Pope assured, "I'll be good."

"Yeah," Kie said, "We'll be right here."

"Keep the car running," Pope said looking back at Kie.

"Yup," Kie said squeezing Pope's hand.

Evelyn, JJ, and Kie walked back toward the truck to wait on Pope. Evelyn didn't have a good feeling leaving him alone with that guy and whoever this lady was but they didn't really have any other choice. If they wanted to clear John B's name they needed to do it.

"Look if Limbrey is legit then Ward get's arrested," Kie said, "And maybe Sarah will get the gold."

Evelyn watched as Pope walked outside with a lady and the guy they had seen at the door. Pope looked back at them with wide eyes.