Chapter 18: Fly Me to the Moon

Why aren't you home yet?

I haven't seen or heard from my mum for more than 10 days and this is the first greeting I get. Oh how heartwarming!
But I really shouldn't complain, my mum is having a very rough time.

Why aren't you home yet?

The words are like an echo inside my head. The angry but also slightly worried tone won't leave me. She is disappointed. I should've told her that I wouldn't be home. She hates it when I don't call or text her over a longer period of time. I guess I understand it. I would be worried too in her place.
But it's unfair that this is the first thing she says to me.

"Swim practice finishes early on Fridays, Tori. Why aren't you home yet. Your father called me."
Your father. There we go. She's getting completely detached from him.
I should lie. I don't want her to get angry at me for staying at a boy's house. And I don't want her to know what happened this morning. Not yet. I weigh out my options before quickly replying: "I'm staying over at Lyla's place, sorry for not letting you know."
Ryan turns around in confusion but shortly afterwards it seems as though he understands why I lied and he resumes the walk to the guest room.

"Lyla's? Just like that?"
"Well, she wanted to spend some time together with me. All she does is study so she wanted to take a break from it."
"Right before your finals?"
"We'll take a break now and study together in a while. Studying with a partner is easier than alone so we thought to spend some time together outside of school."
"And you decided just like that? You didn't pack anything, did you?"

This is getting too complicated. Why is she not convinced? It's true that I don't usually meet with Lyla outside of school but it can't possibly be that unbelievable, can it?
"It was on short notice. She doesn't have time in the next couple of weeks and she forgot to ask me yesterday."
"I see... well then have fun. I'll tell your father where you are. And if you need anything just call me, ok?"
That's it? That's all it took?! She is letting it pass? And there is nothing more to it? Or did she maybe see through my web of lies?
"I will do that. Thanks, Mum."
I decide to add my true feelings into the greeting.
"Thank you for calling and I hope to see you soon."
Silence on the other end. Did she hear me?
"Bye Tori."

The phone call ends and I stare at the device in disbelief and with a slight feeling of disappointment.
"Tori? Is everything alright?"
I look up into Ryan's eyes that are patiently waiting for my response.
"I'm ok, thanks."
"Would you like to stay or do you prefer to go home."
"I will stay", I respond with a confident smile.
He smiles before he turns around again to open the door to the guest room.

~~~

AN: To everyone who is a fan of classical music, you could listen to Love's Sorrow while reading this next part to get into the mood. We are blessed that music recordings from the 1920s exist, which is why I strongly recommend listening to the recording by the one and only Sergei Rachmaninov himself (added the video at the top of this chapter). Personally my favourite classical piece of all time! 🦋🤍🌷

I wake up to the quiet sound of a piano. A piano? We don't have a piano at home...

Oh that's right, I'm at Ryan's place! Is that him playing the piano? Maybe it's his mother, since Ryan told me she is also a pianist. But his parents are on a business trip right now so it can't be them.
Well then why don't I check?
I get up and open the door. The calming melody that's playing on the piano is louder now. I'm not an expert in music but it sounds like some sort of waltz to me. I can clearly feel the beat of three counts repeating.