Chapter 19: Reunion

Why is it so difficult to open my eyes? My bedsheets are too soft and cozy. I feel safe under the covers. It's almost as if I am in heaven.
From the amount of light coming through the window at this season, I'm guessing that it's around eight o'clock. Is that too late? Maybe I should get up and prepare for the day. But I don't have a lot of things to do today. And it's a Sunday as well. Ryan advised me to have some more rest. It should be fine to sleep in, shouldn't it?

Sleeping in. I haven't done this in quite some time... but it seems like it's not that difficult. My eyelids are already falling shut...

~~~

My room is brighter now. The display of my phone on the nightstand shows 9:54. It has truly been quite a long time since I have slept in until such a late time. I sit up straight in my bed and stretch my upper body.

All of a sudden, there is a faint knock at my door. Is this my dad?

"Yes? Enter."

The door opens very slowly and my dad peaks around the corner.
"Morning, Tori. May we come in?"

We? But it's only him, right?

"Dad, who's 'we'?"

He slowly enters and behind him I see...

"Mum?!"

She comes in after my dad, holding a tray with freshly cooked crumpets and three mugs of steaming breakfast tea. My dad closes the door and they both stop at the foot of my bed.
The calm atmosphere from when I just woke up is gone. All the comfort and warmth has disappeared. My parents are both very tense and avoid direct eye-contact, having fallen into a dreadful silence. I myself also feel uneasy at the thought of finally talking. It's new to see both my parents together after the long fight they have had.

The silence is interrupted by my mum clearing her throat and looking at me: "Tori, my darling. We've both behaved unfairly towards you and we are very sorry. We should have communicated more with you and paid attention to your feelings."
My dad looks up as well: "You can always share your worries with us, Tori. But it's our fault that you might have felt unsafe. We were behaving very badly."

Why are they talking about me? I thought this was about their fight. It's not easy when you don't get along with your partner and it's a very normal and common situation. There is nothing wrong in how my parents behaved. Or at least not much... I should attempt to convey my opinion to them as best as I can.
"What are you talking about? It's normal to have a fight from time to time. This one was just a little extreme..."

My dad sits down on the edge of the bed. "It's not only about the fight, Tori. While it's true that it escalated and we left you all alone in the dark, which is already bad enough, it's not only about this."
Now my mum sits down on the other side of the bed and places the tray on my nightstand. "Tori, the most important thing to us as your parents is your wellbeing. We want you to feel comfortable around us. We want you to feel safe and to be able to talk to us whenever you need something, whatever it may be." Her hand slowly moves up towards my shoulder and strokes my arm.
"Your coach messaged your mother, Tori. She told us that you didn't go to practice yesterday. Apparently a classmate of yours was taking care of you because you were feeling sick during school."

So my parents already know? And this is not about their fight. They just want to look out for me. Despite all the conflicts they themselves have, they are here for me now. They are putting me above their problems. I can finally tell them everything.
My dad brushes away a tear on my cheek that I haven't noticed. "We just want you to be ok, Tori. We love you so much, sunshine."
My mum looks at me through glassy eyes: "You don't have to conquer the world all by yourself, my sweetheart. Don't worry about us. Our problems mean nothing compared to you. You are our little treasure and we will always be there to support you."

My lower lip starts trembling. I blink my eyes rapidly but there is no stopping the tears. Small goosebumps form on my arms as I close my eyes, lowering my head a little.
My mum is the first to hug me. I hear her quietly sob into my shoulder and stroke my hair, not sure whether she wants to calm me or herself. My dad hugs the both of us with his strong arms. Even his body is shaking ever so lightly.
Amidst all of the emotions hanging around us, I feel happiness and relief in this very moment. My parents understand me now. They are ready to talk and so am I. They are holding me tight and if I ever fall they will always be there to catch me. I don't have to worry about bothering them. They just want to protect me. I just have to accept their help.
There is a loving family that cares about me. I am so lucky to have them by my side.

~~~

After a comforting breakfast in bed with my parents, I get dressed and we sit down at the table in our garden. My parents don't want to pressure me and have decided it is best to take slow steps. I don't have to tell them everything at once. Whenever I feel ready, I can tell them about something that is worrying me a lot and we can find a solution together.
For today, they have promised me lots of time spent as a family. We will play outdoor games in the garden, play boardgames, make puzzles, and spend time telling each other stories from the small things that happen in our lives. This is just like it used to be when I was still a child. We finally have time for the things that we love as a family. We can spend time together and bond over fun activities. My parents are here for me. I can relax and enjoy the time with them.

~~~

"Pizza night is so fun. How could we not have done this for so long?"
"You're right, dad. Even though it may not be the healthiest, it's is fun to spend time as a family in the kitchen."
We've just finished the last few slices of homemade pizza. A couple of years ago, we would regularly prepare our dinner together as a family but now everyone is rather busy and I fully understand why we were not able to cook together. Nevertheless, it is very nice to have taken up this habit again and it warms my heart to see my parents get along so well.

~~~

"Well then, good night, Tori."
I'm lying in my bed and my parents are standing next to me. I feel like a small child again; safe and sound in my calm life with my parents. Today was a very relaxing day and I was able to enjoy it a lot. Now it's time to get some rest and as of tomorrow I will begin to change my life to fit to my wellbeing.
"Good night, dad."
"We love you, little angel", my mum says and leans down to give me a kiss on the forehead.
"You mean the world to us", my dad adds.
"I love you too, both of you. Thank you for everything!"
"Sleep well, honey."
My mum turns off the lights and afterwards my dad closes the door.

Today truly was amazing and I haven't had such a beautiful day with my parents in a long time. I feel more confident now and I know I can trust the people surrounding me. Especially my parents! They will always be there for me. Friends come and go. But my parents will always stay by my side.