ii. the dying man

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Rúna didn't know what to expect watching these Danes venture into her brother's land, one was dying as Mary had said. They pulled him along on a cart as the others stood guard at the sides of the thing. He must be their leader she decided, she did notice the tension between them and the pale-haired woman though. She's an outsider to them.

"She's a seer," Mary whispered into her ear. "I think she cursed the man." Of course, she did. Men and their useless cocks strike once more.

"Let the man die, I do not mess with that shit." Trig hissed out and Sindri just shrugged when Trig looked at him for backup.

"No, Trig. Ragnar wanted us to spy, so we shall." She cut in and the man went silent. He wasn't happy but he would never ignore her command.

"Ew, is that a monk?" Trig mumbled seeing a young man bring soup to the perishing dane, Rúna elbowed him in the side harshly.

"Shut up." She later perked up when the men ran to the Dane, something must have happened to him. Seeing the group unguarded at the moment she gave a nod and they quietly invaded the group, she snuck up behind one of them and held a sword to his throat.

"Finan." The man spoke calmly, the man turned at the call of his name and grew cautious seeing her.

"Let Sihtric go, lady. We mean you no harm." He spoke as if she were a wild animal, perhaps she was. Ignoring him completely she kicked Sihtric to his knees and motioned for the monk to do the same.

"You are trespassing, Irishman. Why?" He wavered before glancing at the seer. "And why have you not killed the seer yet? I could if you are too scared." She ridiculed and watched the Irishman snarl at her.

"My lord will not allow it, the curse would live even with her death. Or at least that's what Sihtric claims." Trig and Sindri appear next to her to allow her free capacity, Mary joins her side protectively.

"He is right," Mary says and looks at the dying man. "That's him. The dying man." Finan looks pained at the title and glances back down at the man.

"Help me save him." Rúna debates the idea and sighs when she remembers Ragnar agreeing to help. She moved closer to the man and noticed the Dane looked familiar, she had to do a double take but the perishing man was her baby brother.

"Uhtred..." She whispered, Finan, snapped his head to look at her in alarm as she kneeled by her brother's side. "What the hel, Uhtred? I haven't seen you in over ten years and this is how we reunite? You dying from a seer whore?" She hissed out in anger as she gently moved the hair from his face, she ignored the glare the seer sent her.

"Rune?" He mumbled deliriously. She reached out to grab his hand and frowned when he weakly tried to grasp it. "Rune? Are you real?" She nodded softly.

"Yes, baby brother. I am very much real and here. We need Brida, she can help him." She says looking at Finan who has lost all tension now, she wonders if it was because Uhtred may have mentioned her in passing. She nodded at her two men and they sheathed their swords and walked over to her.

"He doesn't look good, Rúna." Trig said peering over her shoulder to look at the Dane. She shoved him away and leaned down to kiss Uhtred's forehead before standing.

"Sihtric help Sindri get Uhtred on the cart we will head out now. Trig and Mary, you will ride ahead and let Ragnar and Brida know of the situation." Her group nods and does as asked. She turns to Finan and the monk as they watch her closely.

"What about her?" She asked motioning to the seer before looking at the two.

"We take her with us. Uhtred does not want to kill her yet." She clicked her tongue in disapproval but decided for Uhtred's sake not to say anything. Sindri brought over her horse to get on and she led the way, the monk rode next to her curious. "What, monk?"

"Does all of your family command men?" She smirked at the curious man.

"Not Thyra. But the rest of us? Yes. Uhtred has all of you, Ragnar has Dunholm, and our cousin Cnut has over a hundred men." She informs and looks at the Irishman who pretends he is not listening.

"And you?" She turns to the Sihtric follow and rolls her eyes at his analyzing gaze.

"Frankia is where my men stay. It is mine and will always be so." Sihtric watched her for a moment and frowned.

"You abandoned your family to claim Frankia?" Rúna halted her horse and whipped it around to face the man, Sindri looked between the two in dread.

"I did not abandon my family. And if you know what's best for yourself, you will never speak to me again." She threatened and continued on the path to Dunholm, going a bit faster than the others to put in some distance.

Once they reached Dunholm Ragnar and Sindri quickly picked Uhtred up and placed him in a comfortable and warm bed, she refused to leave the room until he was awake. She paced along the room nervously with too many thoughts in her head.

What if he didn't want to see her?

What if he hated her?

She should have let Finan or Ragnar be here first. Just as she was going to grab one of them Uhtred gasped awake startling her. She rushed to his side with water and watched him chug it down, she placed a hand on his forehead and was relieved to feel nothing but drying sweat.

"Uhtred." She whispered and smiled when he pulled her into a bone-crushing hug. He held her as close as possible as she fought back tears of both happiness and sadness.

"I have missed you, sister. I have missed you so much." He mumbled into her shoulder as she rubbed his back.

"I missed you too, little brother."