ix. guilt

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Rúna and Sihtric walked through the woods searching for the deer she had shot with her arrows, the Dane immediately volunteered to go with her. Not like the others we're surprised about his sudden willingness. Sihtric glanced around with caution making her grow alert, when Sihtric was tense you knew something was wrong. The two walked in silence until he unsheathed his sword and whipped around with a cold expression, Rúna glared at the intruder.

"Trig." She snarled and moved next to Sihtric as he pinned her once-best friend against the tree.

"I have come with news, Rúna." She scoffed at the male and watched him plead with her. "What I have to say is the truth, you deserve to hear it from a friend."

"You betrayed her." Sihtric said clenching his jaw in anger.

"Sihtric speaks the truth. You knew of Mary's plan and you failed to inform me. You were the brain behind the plan. Why should I trust this news is real?" She questioned with her arms crossed and a scowl, Sihtric pressed the blade deeper into Trig's throat and the other male hissed as a thin line of blood flowed from the blade's tip.

"Mary isn't thinking straight, let me tal-" Sihtric cut the man off.

"She's dead." Trig glowered at him.

"I bashed her face in with my fists. And I will do the same to you, so speak." Rúna motioned for the man to speak his truth.

"Ragnar is dead." Rúna tensed before stepping back in shock and shaking her head. "He was killed in his sleep." Rúna looked at Trig with tears in her eyes. No, that couldn't be true. Her brothers need to make amends, she never made amends with her big brother.

"You are lying! He was just alive! Sihtric, he is lying right? Please, tell me he is lying." She turned to Sihtric begging it to not be true.

Sihtric wished he could deny it, but he didn't know. He did, however, shoot Trig a vicious look when he continued to speak.

"I'm sorry, Rúna. He's dead, I swear it upon the Gods." Rúna covered her mouth as she wept for her brother, Sihtric moved his sword from Trig's throat as they both went to comfort her. She turned to place a hand on her stomach to help herself breathe, she was hyperventilating as she placed her free hand on the nearest tree to ground herself. She screamed out in pain and guilt, she would never be able to speak with her big brother again.

"Sihtric." She said and removed the hand on her stomach to reach for the man, Sihtric grasped it immediately. Sihtric didn't hesitate to pull her into his chest as she cried, her face buried in his throat as he stroked her hair gently. He glared at Trig, who watched with jealousy, as she sobbed in his arms.

Trig was lucky at that moment, Sihtric would have killed him if he wasn't currently holding the most precious thing in the world. Sihtric kissed her head as he tightened his grip on her waist, his eyes never leaving Trigs.