xv. the informant

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"Why warn the Danes that we're coming?" Finan questioned Uhtred as they walked to their horses.

"Who asks? Them or you?" Uhtred asked.

"I'm asking, but the men would like to know."

"To worry them. They know that I am coming but they do not know when. It will give them sleepless nights, and when they do sleep, I want them to dream of a cold, cold hell." Uhtred said with a grin as he grabbed the reins of his horse.

"Hell is a place of fire, lord." Osferth said as he walked past them with bags, Rúna smirked at his claim.

"Uh, what are you doing?" Finan questioned.

"Did you believe you were leaving without me? Not a chance." Osferth said with a smirk and they gathered their things and rode out. They eventually arrive in a small village called Crowland and Finan grows weary of it.

"I'm noticing this village is different from the others we've passed." Finan said and glanced at her for some input.

"Traitors, all of them. The Danes probably pay them to comply." Finan nodded and glanced around in disgust.

"It prospers." Osferth answered.

"In the heart of Danelaw, it prospers." Finan spoke with suspicion.

"I have a thirst, my friends."

"Everyone here is as fat as a buttered bishop." Finan says as they walk through the town. Rúna shook her head in amusement while Osferth grew confused.

"A buttered bishop?" Osferth repeats.

"A buttered bishop. Do you have a problem with that?" Rúna shoved the Irishman when he stopped to look at a woman. Men and their cocks.

"You! Who are you?" A man shouts at them as they go to enter the alehouse. Rúna moved to Uhtred's side as the Mercian stood in front of them.

"Who are you?" Uhtred asked in amusement.

"I am Guthlac, thegn of this place."

"I am Uhtred of Bebbanburg." He said as he looked around.

"Never heard of it."

"We serve the lady Aethelflæd and thus, Mercia. We do you, no doubt." Uhtred says with a bored expression.

"We are Mercians, yes."

"Not very good ones." She mumbled to Uhtred who cracked a grin.

"Fat Mercians." Finan whispers to Osferth who shakes his head in disbelief.

"What is it you want?"

"Food and ale, a place to sleep, rest a while. I'd hope that our beds will be warmer than your welcome." Uhtred says insulting the Mercians.