xxii. death

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

At the camp, the warriors sit around the campfire as Osferth serves them some stew. Rúna was gripping Sihtric's arm as she used his shoulder as a pillow, Sihtric kissed her head lovingly as he gazed down at the blonde. Since the news of Thyra's death, she had attached herself to Sihtric and refused to let go, similar to her reaction to Ragnar's death. It was known that he soothed her whether he knew the extent of it or not, he was her home and someone who made her feel safe. Uhtred wished he could comfort her but he had too many things to figure out.

"I have noticed Aethelwold is not with us." Sihtric says bluntly as he offers the woman some of his stew, he relaxes a little when she accepts.

"I wondered why the stench is gone. No doubt he's making his way to the Danes." Beocca said as he took the stew from Osferth.

"He may know of Bedanford. He will tell them." Osferth we asked with worry.

"Which is why we're headed towards the woods. Beyond Bedanford." Finan speaks up and looks over at Rúna. She hadn't said a word since she first cried in Sihtric's chest mourning her sister.

"We are?"

"We assemble at Bedanford as requested in the letter but then we march on to attack the Danes in the woodlands. A small advantage for our smaller numbers," Uhtred says and then turns to Osferth. "You have the blood kept safe?"

"I do, lord. Always. And it is blessed."

"Thyra's blood." Beocca says and Rúna flinches violently at the name, Sihtric quickly puts down his bowl and wraps his arms around her to hold her close. He caressed her hair as she hid her face in the crook of his neck, Sihtric sent the priest a dirty look briefly.

"Yes."

"And it will save Ragnar's soul?" He asked the Dane. Rúna hadn't realized she was crying again until Sihtric wiped her tears away with such gentleness.

"It will take him from Nifelheim to Valhalla, yes. From hell into heaven. I must kill the man who killed Ragnar, with a blade marked with Ragnar's blood." Uhtred explained and reached out to hold his sister's hand.

"Thyra's blood."

"If you say that name again—" Sihtric's threat was cut off by Uhtred.

"It is the same." Uhtred said dismissing it.

"Who is this man you will kill?" Beocca asked with curiosity.

"I do not know."

Sihtric, Finan, Rúna, and a few others drag the Dane spies to the hill, Uhtred wanted them to hang from the trees in a warning. Finan ordered them to shoot the next batch as Sihtric and a man dragged another body.

"There is nothing more useless than a dead spy." Finan mumbled. She had to agree. Sihtric stands alert as he unsheathed his sword.

"Finan." Finan turns to see a lonesome rider watching them. They bring him back to camp to speak with Uhtred.

"Jackdaw." The man watched Rúna in concern, he had always liked the woman. She was a friend to him.

"He says he has a message, lord." Finan informs the man.

"I do, lord. It's from Brida." Uhtred tensed at the name and grew serious.

"Say it."

"Am I to be spared?"

"Yes, you will be spared, but you will not be returning to the Danes. Say your message." Uhtred claimed.

"She says, 'Aethelwold,' lord. She says, 'do not fail.'" Uhtred becomes visibly angry at the message. Rúna clicked her tongue in anger, that cunt killed her brother and indirectly killed her sister. He will die.

"How long before they come?"

"They are near. You are facing death, for certain." Jackdaw claimed.

"You are wrong, Jackdaw. I will not die." Uhtred says confidently as they lead him away. "Osferth, the blood."

"Today, I ask you not to fight for Alfred. I ask you not to fight for Edward, not the crown. But to fight for yourselves, and your forefathers. They are buried in the soil of Wessex and Mercia, and they have become the soil. They are the land. And even as I speak, it is for them we are fighting." Edward screams as they gather to hear his speech, and the men around them shout.

On the order, they charge into the unaware Danes with shouts and cries of war. Rúna slashed at the Danes, some she knew when she followed her brother and Brida. Sindri, answering the message she had sent, gave her a nod as her men from Frankia fought with them.

"Uhtred, there's too many of the bastards!" Finan shouts as they slash down any Dane they come across.

"Keep your ground!"

"Where are the Mercians?" Sihtric shouts as he and Finan grunt. She stabs a man who is trying to kill Finan, and she snarles in anger.

"Uhtred, the line is breaking!"

"Push back! Where is Sigebriht?" Uhtred says in anger.

"Lord! Horses!" They turn to see Aethelflæd and her men in charge.

"It is Aethelflaed! It is Mercia!" Uhtred says happily before meeting Aethelwold's eyes and then turning to Brida when he runs. Rúna steals her a horse of her own as she follows, Aethelwold would die today.

Rúna watched as a low-hanging branch knocked the Saxon rat off his horse, the two siblings dismounted as they approached the man. Aethelwold slowly walks around the tree as he holds his injured arm.

"Uhtred, Rúna, please. My arm is broken. I have no way of wielding a sword." Rúna fought back a snarl at the boy.

"You have another arm."

"Please! I will go north, east, or west. I will go to Frankia. To Ireland, even." She scoffed at him as she walked next to Uhtred.

"My men would kill you on sight if you left for Frankia." She snapped and felt Uhtred reach for her wrist.

"You killed Ragnar."

"No! No, I didn't. I couldn't." Aethelwold begins and she's had enough.

"Liar! Do not lie to us, runt." She hissed as she gripped the hilt of her sword.

"You killed him." Uhtred says again.

"Never."

"Admit your guilt." Uhtred snapped.

"Uhtred, I am guilty of nothing more than wanting what is rightly mine." The two siblings glare at the man.

"Admit it!" She orders and the boy flinches.

"We are the same, our kingdoms stolen." Aethelwold said trying to appeal to Uhtred.

"You killed our brother! Admit it to me!" Uhtred shouted as he put the tip of his blade against Aethelwold's throat.

"Yes, or he would have killed me. It was a war of sorts between us. I am not worth it." Uhtred drops his arm as he glares at the boy. "I swear, you will never see me again. I will go anywhere, travel as far away as you wish. Please, please." Aethelwold begs as she slides down the tree crying. "Uhtred, please."

Uhtred turns away and makes eye contact with Rúna, they share a subtle nod and she readied her sword.

"You will need silver to travel. A ships fare." Aethelwold stands.

"Yes, I would. Not much, you will never see this face again." Uhtred tossed him the pouch of Thyra's blood and Rúna unsheathed her sword as she sunk it deep within Aethelwold.

"You will go to hell." Uhtred snarled as she ripped the sword out.

"Uhtred, Rúna. Look, a bridge. He's crossing to Valhalla. He's free." Brida says once she makes an appearance. Uhtred lays his head on her shoulder as Brida cradles his face before pulling away. She gives Rúna a small smile as she leaves.