xiii. the fight

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Sihtric, Rúna, and Uhtred join Finan as he places his hands placed on Osferth's wound. Osferth coughs in pain, she frowns at the priest as Sihtric trails his fingers along her waist.

"Osferth?"

"He's alive, lord. Maybe next time, we'll be lucky, eh?" Finan said softly.

"Did you see my fighting, lord?" Osferth asked and then looked at her for approval.

"I did, it was a sight to behold." Uhtred spoke.

"You did well, Osferth." She spoke making the monk smile.

"I hope I killed no man."

"You gave many a sore head." Uhtred reassured.

"I feel cold."

"Because it's winter, you fool!" Finan replied as Uhtred placed a hand on Osferth's chest. Rúna intertwined her and Sihtric's fingers, and Uhtred glanced at them briefly.

"You were a warrior today, Osferth."

"Am I to die, lord? I do not fear it." Osferth questions.

"No, baby monk. You will live." She said with a smile.

"I forbid it." Finan proceeds to smack Osferth in the face lightly.

"You dare die, baby monk, and I'll kill you myself." Finan threatened the boy.

"Right, I'll try not to, then." Osferth said weakly.

"You will return to Aethelflæd's estate, you will recover there." Uhtred ordered.

"Yes, lord."

"What of Skade?" Sihtric asked as he pulled her close.

"She's been taken by Hæsten."

"Then nothing has changed. We remain cursed still." Sihtric said with anger, she looked up at him with confusion at his sudden mood change.

"I am cursed."

"It touches us all, lord. It continues." She pulled Sihtric out of the tent and somewhere private, she gazed at him in concern.

"Sihtric, I worry for you and my brother. Something is wrong, I cannot explain it." She whispered and placed her forehead against his chest as she gripped his armor. Sihtric stroked her hair gently as he leaned in to kiss her head.

"He has lost his mind, Rúna. I fear the curse will kill us." Rúna frowned in worry and pulled back to look at him, instead of speaking she chose that moment to pull him down for a kiss. She raised her hand to place on his face as she deepened it, his own rested on her torso as he pulled her against him.

Later that day, she sits next to Sihtric as they feast in Aethelflæd's hall, with the prisoners watching their every move. She would prefer to be rolling around in the furs with Sihtric but the Dane was unnaturally tense.

"How's Osferth?" Uhtred asked them as he walked in.

"Sleeping, as we should all be." Finan spoke looking between the two men.

"Just as soon as he's recovered, we should attempt to recover Skade." Uhtred ordered.

"Once again." Sihtric said under his breath.

"So long as she is free, lord, you are cursed." Finan quickly spoke and shot the Dane a warning look.

"Skade is with the Danes. We cannot reach her. We will not chase her to our deaths." Uhtred spoke as he sat down.

"Death will find us regardless." Rúna reached out to place a calming hand on Sihtric's own.

"Do you have something to say, Sihtric?"

"He does not." Finan interrupted sensing the growing tension, he looked at her for help.

"Except that, enough of us have died already." Sihtric snapped and squeezed her hand softly.

"You are a warrior, death is a hazard."

"Please, do not do this." She begged the Dane, Sihtric looked at her with sad eyes as Uhtred began to speak.

"I have decided to go to Ragnar. I must help him find peace." Rúna felt betrayed he hadn't asked her to join him.

"All you will find at Ragnar's graveside is ghosts." Sihtric spoke making everyone go silent. Rúna flinched at that and pulled her hand away, Sihtric reached for her but she shifted away. She stood with crossed arms and a tense posture, Sihtric couldn't help but look guilty at her pained expression.

"You will keep watch of Aethelflæd and you will rest."

"No man who served Uhtred can rest, not until Skade is reclaimed." Sihtric called out and Finan quickly spoke.

"Sihtric, you are drunk and tired."

"Yes, I am tired," He turns to Uhtred. "Of marching north and then south, being called a traitor! For what?" Sihtric snapped in anger.

"Then leave, boy."

"Uhtred, you don't mean that." Finan said as he looked between the two men.

"If you are unhappy in my service, leave!" Sihtric stands and crowds in Uhtred's space.

"I have fought for you!" Sihtric shouted and Rúna bit her lip at his meltdown, she was terrified she was about to lose her newfound friend and lover.

"You fight because you enjoy it." Uhtred replies and Finan moves to the quarreling men.

"You'd dismiss me as easy as this?" Sihtric asked hurt.

"Stay or go, I do not care."

"He does not mean that. He does care. Now, let us all sit." Finan says frantically.

"If you wish to make the square, Uhtred of Bebbanburg, let us do it." Sihtric says. Rúna shakes her head in fear, no, not this. Not again. She can not lose another person.

"No, please. Do not do this, Sihtric. Uhtred, please." She looked between her brother and new lover and felt her heartbreak at the thought of losing one of them.

"No, there'll be no squares made. No fighting, just sleep. Sleep! Jesus!" Finan looks at them both with disappointment. "Get the prisoners back with the pigs, bound." Finan orders.

"Sihtric! I will leave first light but I will return and if you are here still, then I will kill you." Uhtred threatens. Rúna turned to Uhtred with a betrayed expression, he went to place a hand on her arm but she shoved him away.

"I cannot sit here and watch you kill one another, I refuse. Until you both make amends, I will not speak to either of you," She then turned to Uhtred. "If you do attempt to kill him, I will never forgive you." She whispered and Uhtred hid his hurt expression and left.

"Why?" Finan asked Sihtric, she watched as he slapped a cup off the table.

"He has cursed us all!" He shouts in Finan's face as the Irishman walks away to sit and he shakes his head.

"She has cursed us all and Uhtred allows it." Dagfinn speaks.

"Shut your mouth." Finan ordered.

"Abandon him, boy. It's your only chance. You're a dane first and last." Finan motions for a guard to shut the Dane up. Sihtric leaves shortly as the prisoners are taken back to their cages, she hopes that he doesn't do something reckless.