iv. the ringing of bells

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

It wasn't unheard of for Mary and Rúna to hook up when the touch of a man was overwhelming, just like with Trig it was nothing more than some fun to blow off some steam. She walked out of Mary's room and bumped into the Dane boy, Sihtric.

Just her luck.

"You lurk in the shadows too much, Sihtric. It is unnerving." She claimed and noticed the boy smiled at her, she didn't have time for whatever game he was playing.

"I apologize, lady." She hummed at his politeness and patted his shoulder as she walked away. She found Uhtred and Ragnar easily as he gathered everyone to the square.

"We are divided, it seems. We are two people, it seems. Over here, we have the ugly, the unwashed, the shit-smelling, the pig-humping, frog-licking, the Rome worshipping, ugly, frog-licking Saxons!" Rúna laughed with the crowd, she wrapped her arms around Mary from behind once she joined them. Sindri stood next to Brida who attempted to goad him into joining the game. Trig was already next to Finan and the two laughed loudly at whatever the Irishman had said and with those two, it's best not to know.

"Frog-licking?" Osferth muttered.

"That is who we are." Finan shouted as Sihtric bent backward as Finan poured a pitcher of ale into Sihtric's mouth and then his own.

She must admit that the Dane boy was unfairly attractive and even more so at that moment.

She hated it. She hated him. The bastard son of Kjartan.

She should be offended that they didn't think she could hear them talking the night before even though they made no move to speak quieter. She didn't understand Sihtric or how he thought and it made her uneasy to think about it.

"But we do not lick frogs." Osferth corrected. Ragnar pulls Cnut into a side hug as he turns to them with a wide grin and a cup of ale.

"They face, in a battle of strength the pretty, the sweet-smelling, the light of foot-"

"Whoo-hoo!" Brida yelled with a grin.

"Apple-cheeked." Cnut added and Ragnar moved to place his forehead against his cousins.

"The apple-cheeked, golden-haired boys of Denmark and beyond." Ragnar shouted as the crowd cheered.

"Ragnar, you are a Skald, not a warrior." Uhtred shouted to the blonde making them chuckle.

"I have the gift, I really do. You may take the rope."

"Come on! Let's do this! Come on!" Finan yells.

"Are you prepared?" Ragnar asks.

"Look at him, he loves it." He says to the three women next to him.

"He'd play games every day if he could." Brida says.

"He's still a child at heart." Rúna added.

"Is there spit in your hands?" Finan immediately spits in his palms and Osferth looks disgusted. "Good earth beneath your feet?" Ragnar shouts.

"Come on! Get with it, Ragnar." Brida yells teasingly.

"Come on, let's do this!"

"Pull! Saxons, pull! Pull! Pull! Are you a dane? Pull!" Ragnar yells watching the men, the crowd cheers in excitement.

"You never tire of this game." Uhtred said.

"If only all wars were fought this way. Pull you, bastards! Ragnar, son of the fearless, is the victor!" He screamed as the men fell to the mud and dirt, and she and Brida laughed at the sight. "We bring twenty men on their arse while drinking ale!" Rúna helped Trig up from the ground and shoved him when he tried to hug her.

"You are life itself." Uhtred says and hugs Ragnar, their moment is cut short by a guard ringing the bell.

"Ragnar!"

"We're playing games, can't you see that?"

"Ragnar, it is the watchman."

"The gate, open it." Ragnar said urgently as he and Rúna grew serious.

"Ragnar?" Uhtred questions.

"My watchmen don't return for no reason." He speaks as the watchman rides in.

"What is it?" She asked the man.

"Men and horses, lord. Warriors."

"How many?" Uhtred asks.

"Forty or fifty, I don't recognize them."

"Spears and arrows to the walls till we know who they are and what they want. Hold your aims until command!"

"Finan, Rúna." Sihtric says as he jumps up and retrieves their weapons from the roof. She thanked him briefly and ignored his gaze on her and Trig's smug grin watching them.

"Bar the gate!" Ragnar dunks his head in the water to sober up ending their fun.