xx. kings orders

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"Lord Uhtred." Sigebriht says as he turns away from the window.

"Lord Sigebriht you stand with Aethelwold?" Uhtred questioned in disbelief.

"I stand for a strong Wessex, where exactly do you stand lord? May I ask, is it with Edward?" Finan moved to sit down as Aethelwold poured Uhtred some ale. Rúna clicked her tongue in annoyance at the sight of the other boy, she leaned against the wall in boredom.

"You say it as though there are men against Edward?" Uhtred said accusingly.

"There are men who doubt him, yes. But if Uhtred were to stand alongside him—" He is cut off by Aethelwold who hands Uhtred the cup.

"I was at Ethandun, I stood beside you in a shield wall. He is barely a man." Aethelwold snapped in irritation.

"And Alfred could barely lift a sword above his head, yet he was a man to follow." Uhtred defended.

"I say again, Edward is not Alfred. He is not a man to follow. The Danes know this." Aethelwold says with a scoff.

"You're still with them, admit it." Finan spoke with boredom.

"I am for Wessex."

"Sure, you are. And it has nothing to do with you attempting to kill the kings?" Rúna questioned the boy and grinned when he scoffed.

"Lord, you did not answer my question. Where does Uhtred stand?" Sigebriht questions and Uhtred sits the cup down. He looks at Finan as they leave and Finan gives them a mocking smile.

Later Beocca, Finan, Thyra, Rúna, and Uhtred sit at the table at Thyra's home once again. Finan rubs his head as he holds his cup, the man is stressed and worried for his friend. Rúna smiled softly at her sister when she handed her a cup of ale, she squeezed the woman's hand in thanks.

This was as close to having her family as she would get, she was glad the three of them reunited even if it was under dire circumstances.

"I will not leave Winchester, I cannot." Uhtred says determinedly.

"You can and you must." Finan says and Rúna has to agree.

"Not until Edward is king." Uhtred claims with a small amount of bitterness.

"You promised Alfred this?" Beocca stated.

"I did."

"If the pardon does not hold, then you cannot stay and wait to be imprisoned and killed." Finan pleads with the Dane.

"Uhtred, think about this. Think about your child, they will be orphans if you die. Thyra and I do not want to mourn another brother." Rúna spoke and reached for Uhtred's hand, her brother held it in his own as he looked at her sadly.

"Where else should he go?" Thyra defends as she moves to Beocca's side.

"Anyway a horse can take him, anywhere a ship can go." Finan stressed as he rubbed his beard.

"Uhtred came here for a reason. He came for Ragnar's blood, he has a task to fulfill. The blood must be kept safe, a battle is coming. You must choose a side." Thyra said ominously.

"The problem being is neither side wants him." Finan claims and Uhtred chuckled in disbelief. Rúna squeezed her brother's hand as she laughed quietly.

"Which is a further reason why you must stay, wait for Edward. Which is why Alfred asked you for what seemed like a simple promise." Beocca claimed in realization.

"Bastard thinks." Uhtred mumbled.

"He knows your honor, Uhtred. That is all." Thyra claimed softly and placed her hand on Beocca's shoulder.

The announcement of Alfred's death is emotional for most of Wessex and the opportunity for the rest. Finan, Thyra, and Uhtred stand amongst the people as they begin Alfred's funeral ceremony. Tidman begins to harass Thyra once again and she quickly leaves to avoid a scene, Finan watches in confusion. Rúna taps Uhtred's arm when she notices and the two are about to chase their sister when she notices Steapa.

"Shit." She mumbled.

Steapa quietly and slowly makes his way to Uhtred, he leans down to whisper to the man in hopes of not disturbing the grieving family. Beocca watches from his place up front and makes eye contact with the queens, he frowns at the sight.

"Lord, Lady. I have orders to kill you both, should you not leave the hall quietly." Uhtred sighs and grabs his sister's hand as they follow Steapa, a moment later Finan runs after them in confusion.

"Steapa, what is this? Hmm, what is this?" Finan shouts in desperation and confusion. Steapa motions to the guards and they slam him against the brick pillar. Rúna frowned at the treatment of the man and turned to Uhtred who looked defeated.

"Finan, do nothing." Uhtred demanded as he followed Steapa.

"He's a free man." Finan says defeated as he slumps against the wall. "And she has done nothing wrong!" Finan shouts and Rúna smirks at that, Finan better hope he can control Sihtric as he wouldn't hesitate to storm the castle to find her.