xxi. banishment

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Uhtred sat on the bench in his cell as he watched his sister pace back and forth. She was anxious and he didn't know how to help her, he had offered to hug her but she refused it.

"Ru, what is it?" He asked softly and she shook her head, she didn't know. It was a feeling of dread. The conversation ended when Aethelflaed walked in.

"Is there to be a trial or a simple execution?" He asked with a smirk.

"Uhtred, it was my mother's intention to cut your throat, but she has been persuaded to revert to banishment. You are to leave Winchester and Wessex, and never return." Aethelflaed pleaded as she held Uhtred's hand.

"And what of Edward? What of the king's letter, his pardon? Does that count for nothing?" Uhtred asked in annoyance and confusion. "Why is my sister here?"

"Uhtred, you must leave or she will have you killed," The princess then looks at Rúna. "She believes you are a threat." Rúna scoffed.

"Because I'm Uhtred's sister?" She questioned and Aethelflaed nodded sadly.

"Find Beocca, I must speak to Beocca. Fetch him, please." She gives him a look of sympathy as she hesitates.

"I cannot fetch him. He has trials enough."

"What trials?" Uhtred asked, Rúna grabbed his hand when she realized something bad must have happened.

"I am here. I have heard what the lady has said, and I am here to beg you, Uhtred, to beg you to stay." Beocca says from the entryway.

"Father Beocca, he cannot stay." Aethelflæd claims and Beocca ignores her.

"There will be a hearing?"

"Perhaps." She says quietly.

"And we shall be heard, we must." Beocca said determinedly.

"What has happened?" Beocca ignores him.

"Accept a trial and speak out. If you do not, the devil will have won." Beocca satiated in anger.

"Beocca?"

"Do not against what you helped to build." Beocca continued.

"There is a change in you." Beocca walked to Uhtred with watery eyes.

"Thyra is with God...the Gods, even." Beocca whispered sadly. Rúna dropped Uhtred's hand and covered her mouth, she reached out to hold the metal bars as she forced back the tears.

"Not Thyra, anyone but her." She whispered as she clenched her eyes close.

"How?"

"Fire. Set by good Christian men, no doubt." He says with bitterness, Rúna lets out a choked sob and collapses to the ground. Why does her family keep dying?