Thirty Eight

"The fourth time was after October break. I had stood watching you paint from across the room. Literally leaning on the table wit my chin in my hand like a love sick preteen. And then I thought I'd had enough of it. So I came over and this time you actually took your earphone out when I was talking to you. You answered my question and asked me how my week off had been in return. That's the moment I knew I was breaking through to you. Then you got cocky with your answers, your attitude trying to push me back, but it was more playful."

"And then I worked out that you'd been stood talking to be me 2 full hours and I was so caught up in talking about you I didn't even realise I was talking to you. That was the first moment I got the slightest glimpse into you Fay. You told me you didn't trust me. You had no proof I was who I was saying I was. And then you put paint on your face and I nearly died. I had to stop myself from shaking as I wiped it off you and I knew I needed to act right then so I asked you to walk around the Louvre with me and turned away before you could refuse. And when you shouted your name at me, I was shocked. My heart was pounding in my chest. I had never in my life heard a name so perfect. I wanted to say it forever." 

"So the fourth time was that entire conversation. Our back and forth how you kept fighting it but leading me in more, challenging me, irritating me to force me to ask more demanding questions. I knew you'd keep me entertained." 

"The fifth time was when I watched you speaking fluent French to the hotel receptionist. I had no idea what you were saying but I was glad I was sat down because I would have collapsed. The sixth was that despite you not knowing me, or trusting me, you opened up your room to me. Gave me somewhere to stay. The seventh was when you checked my back before anything else, making sure I was okay before you dealt with it. And as far as I knew, you hated me. But you still made sure I was okay. The eighth was waking up to you muttering on the floor about how stupid you were. That Steel was going to kill you for letting me sleep beside you. The ninth was when you opened up to me that night. The tenth was watching you on the floor in the alley, knowing you were so strong you could just pick yourself up and carry on. The eleventh was in the elevator after I punched Jack. I wanted to kiss you then. To make sure you knew none of what he said was okay but I knew you didn't need that extra stress." 

"Then there's us sharing a bottle of wine on the floor. I want to do that every week with you. Then sat eating Macarons in front of the Eiffel tower. Hearing you laugh is the best sound I have ever heard. Then when I held your hand for the first time. I could feel you stop breathing. Like your whole body hit a reset. You had settled into it by the time we reached the museum. Then listening to you talk about Latin phrases, teaching me things I never even wanted to know. Then how protective you were over that room, over your secret. You tried to keep it. You really tried to protect whatever we had and then when I'd worked it out, you ran. Then when you were trying to avoid admitting it was a date and were reading blurbs off books to try and distract me. Then dinner that night, watching you try to eat pasta without getting it everywhere, You telling me all about Paris and where the best places to eat at short notice were, how to get there. Then that night when you finally let me cuddle you. That feeling of you on my chest. I felt tingly all night. Butterflies in my stomach and I didn't want to move. Not even in the morning. I just wanted to stay there with you laid on me." 

"I'm going to skip a load because I could stand here and tell you each time but it's every time I look in your eyes Fay. Every time you smile or roll your eyes or your sarcastic or give Sterling shit. Every time You move your hair out of your face or you sing along to your music when you think no one can hear you. When you're so lost in a book you nearly walk into a lamp post. When y9ou call Sterling over everything, when the first thing you do to him is complain. When you look at me and your eyes twinkle like every shooting star that ever exited combined into one. Every time you tell me you love me. When you're sick and still worry that your being an inconvenience to everyone." 

"Every single time you look at me Fay. That's when I know I'm going to marry you." He smiled as my eyes went wide, watching him take a step back and get down on one knee, pulling the box out. oh my god. 

OH MY GOD. 

I'm so stupid. Of course this is what is happening tonight. And everyone knows. Bea sorting my crown, them whispering, him walking me down the dance, running off. It all made crystal clear sense. 

"Fay. Baby- Focus." He chuckled and took my left hand. "Freya I could be here and tell you everything you mean to me but after the past 6 months I don't think I have to because I know you know. I know this is really soon but I think we've been through that much that I can't risk loosing you again and this is the best way for me to make sure you know how serious I am that I'm not loosing you." I climbed down on my knees in front of him, making him laugh but through the tears and everything else I was so overwhelmed I couldn't stand up. "I love you Freya, with my whole entire heart and soul and body. My entire existence. It's you and it's always going to be you. So Freya. My Princess, will you do me the pleasure of becoming my wife and marrying me?" 

"No." I smiled at him. "I'm kidding. I'll marry you Evan." 

He slid the ring onto my finger, putting the box on the floor and wrapping me into the tightest hug I've ever felt. 

"I mean it Fay. I'm not going anywhere and we're going to be dancing until we're old and grey. You're mine." 

"Forever." I buried my head into his neck, tightening my grip around his neck as I cried. 

"And always baby. Me and you."