Twenty

Evan looked at his watch, moving his hand from my waist down to my hips. "We should get going. It's late and we have an early flight tomorrow."

"I don't want to go." I pouted and climbed off him, putting the lid back on the jar as he stood up and tidied all the pieces from around us.

"I know. But we can come back in a few months." I stuck my bottom lip out and his eyes glimmered. "Put that away before I bite it." I snapped it back into my mouth and he chuckled, holding a hand out for me. "Come on." Pulling me to my feet, I tugged my coat, making sure it wasn't all scrunched up. "What are your plans for the next month then?" He shook the blanket off, folding it and putting back in the bag by our feet. 

"Read, paint, practice my music some more. Nothing out of the ordinary." He nodded. "What are yours?" 

"Nothing." He shrugged. "Do you want to make some plans? I don't think I can go a whole month without seeing you. I might die." 

"So dramatic. You won't die." I smiled, holding my hand out and he looked at it. "Plans sound good but you can't tell me you're outside if you don't have my number." He smiled, handing my his phone. I put it in quickly handing it back to him. "Do not come up to the house. No matter what." 

"Why not?" 

"Because my dad will go all background check FBI detail on you. At least I can slow him into it first." 

"How are you going to do that exactly if I don't come to the house?" 

"Ah, well that leads me to my next question. What do you do for Christmas day? Like 7pm onwards?" 

"Um- this year? Literally slouching in front of the TV and watching Christmas films. Why?" 

"We do a ball. Every Christmas. Pretty big, members of state, celebs that kind of thing. But it's invite only so the only people there are people who know, you know-" I pretend to put a crown on my head and he chuckled, putting his arms around me. "So, I was going to ask if you fancied getting all dressed up but without the masks this time?" 

"With you?" 

"Yes. With me. As my date. To my dad's Christmas ball."

"Hmmm." He looked up for a second. "I don't know how to date a proper princess." 

"You just dance with her and act like you haven't already kissed her. That's literally it." I smiled. 

"I haven't kissed you yet."  I scrunched my face up at him and he giggled. 

"I know. You know what, forget it." I stepped back and he chuckled, pulling me back. 

"Of course I'll go with you." I huffed at him, crossing my arms. "What?" I stared at him through the top of my eyelashes and he smirked at me. "You want me to kiss you don't you?" 

"I'll kiss you first if you keep being like this." 

"Nope." 

"Then why won't you kiss me? We've been on how many dates now? We're literally sleeping in bed together, cuddling. You kiss my cheek and my neck and my forehead but you haven't kissed me since that first one that you demanded is a practice on-" He grabbed my face and pushed his lips into mine. It took a few seconds for my brain to kind of work out what was happening. It was so sudden and out of the blue. 

I pushed myself up onto my tiptoes and one of his hands wrapped around my waist, pulling me into him closer. That movement caused me to gasp against him and he smiled into me, quickly taking back control as the hand on my cheek tilted my head up more.

My feet weren't even on the floor now. He was holding me in the air, supporting my entire body with just that one arm and honestly, if he put me down now, I'd collapse into the grass below us. I wasn't breathing. I couldn't. The pressure on my face was too intense for me to even think about anything else but him. 

"Fay?" He laid his head against mine, taking slow deep breathes. My eyes were still shut, heart racing like it was my first ever kiss. 

"Mhm?" 

"Look at me for a sec?" I shook my head and he breathed against my lips. God. Do it again. Please do it again. "Please Freya. I need you to look at me." I opened my eyes reluctantly. "I love you." 

"What?" I whispered and he put my feet down on the floor, pulling my arms up around his neck before he picked me back up. "You- Um." I swallowed. "Did you just say you love me Evan?" He nodded against my forehead. "Wow. Um." 

"You don't have to say it back if you're not ready yet. I just needed you to know. That's why I've been holding off kissing you again. I needed to be sure first." 

"You've really thought about this huh? It's been like less than a week?" I pulled my head back and looked at him as he held me tighter. "Isn't that like too soon? To know?" 

"Didn't you tell me you were a hopeless romantic at one point?" He smirked. 

"I am but-" 

"No buts. It might have only been a week Fay, but I've been falling in love with you since the first day in that art class. Everything I do, even before here, I was only ever thinking about you. You're stuck in my head like a record on replay constantly and if I'm not picturing your face or how you're eyes shimmer when you laugh, or how your hair is always in the freaking way so I can't see your eyes, I'm replaying your voice in my head from every single conversation we've ever had. I have never been more sure of anything in my entire life Freya. I promise you with every single nerve in me that I love you." He didn't even need to kiss me for me to crumble under him. His words were enough to have me swooning more than Bash ever had. "Are you- Oh my god I made you cry." He wiped the stray tears from my cheek, pulling my face up to look at him clearer. "I'm sorry I shouldn't hav-" 

"That is the sweetest combination of words anyone has ever said to me Evan." 

"Really?" I nodded, wrapping my hands into his hair and pushing down to bring him closer again. 

"I'm falling for you Evan. Please don't make me regret it." He lifted my head up again, finger curled under my chin. "Promise me you won't make me regret it." 

"You won't regret it Fay. I won't let you." I nodded against him, pushing my lips into his quickly. "Shall we go?" I nodded and he stepped back, grabbing my hand and picking the bag up.