Chapter 12: Zatima

"What's wrong with you?" Madam asks Fatima seeing that something is bothering her

"Nothing," she replies brushing her off

"Tima, don't make me pull it out of you,"

"It's Zac, I haven't heard from him since he left my apartment yesterday,"

"Does he usually call you every day?"

"I mean he calls me a couple of times a day or sends me some silly messages throughout the day then nothing since yesterday,"

"Ok, so what happened then?"

"Honestly, I don't know. I thought things were great between us, better even, we'd just spent the night together and it was so good."

"Have you called him?"

"I text him and he replied, but it wasn't like how he usually responds."

"Well, y'all are just friends so..."

Fatima narrows her eyes at her cousin, "As much as I've been saying we're just friends, we're not. We haven't been for some time I've been fighting a losing battle with my feelings and it was pointless cause I'd already caught feelings,"

"Well did you tell him that?"

"No I didn't get a chance, and I can't help but feel like he's trying to distance himself cause things are changing between us,"

"Then go and tell him how you feel,"

"But he asked for space,"

"Fuck space, then fuck the man, shit"

After her conversation with her cousin, Fatima calls him, "Hey, I know you asked for a couple of days but can you come over tonight? I wanna talk to you,"

"Uh of course I can always make time for you."

Fatima had tried to give Zac the space and time he'd asked for but the more she replayed their last few interactions the more confused she was. She'd been vulnerable with him that night, letting him take care of her the way he had and just being held by him that night she'd gotten the best sleep she'd had in a long time. Him asking for a couple of days had hurt her but it had also forced her to reflect on their time together and her feelings for him.

"What the hell Zac? What happened?" She asked when they sat down to talk

"Nothing happened, that night just made me realise a few things and I thought it would be best to take some time to think about what I needed to do next,"

"Is this about us?"

"Yea, it is"

"That night I thought everything was good between us,"

"It was T, and that's what made the next morning so much harder for me,"

Fatima was so confused that she didn't know what to say. He blew a breath, "I can talk to you about anything right?"

"Of course,"

"Right. You and I, we fit so well together, work, life and the sex is out of this world. It just works and the fit is crazy, but it wasn't supposed to happen like that, neither of us came into this thinking that would happen,"

Fatima felt a dead weight rest in her stomach, "Zac-"

"Wait, let me finish. You've fucked with my head, shit all of me. I feel you all through me, everywhere and somehow you make me so much better. It's like I just woke up one day and you were everywhere and I didn't even care. We agreed to be just friends, you said you don't want a relationship or love non if that,"