Chapter 13: Stupid games

Fatima could feel a headache forming at the base of her skull, every word out of the assistant district attorney's mouth was like a hammer to her head. Since she'd found out about the charges they planned to bring against her uncle she'd been working on getting him off and it had been working but the feds had just blindsided her with a sketch that had supposedly led to an identification of her uncle as a murderer and now they were formally filing murder charges against him.

"Nice work hiding that sketch," Fatima says as she takes a seat in the ADA's office.

"Just doing my job Ms Wilson, you may have managed to get all the other charges against your client dropped but this murder charge is sticking,"

"Is that right?"

"Yes, and I'll spare you the indignity of asking, I'm not offering him any deals,"

"Deal? I haven't even begun my defence and I already know if this goes to court he is walking,"

"Can whatever it is you think you have nullify a positive ID?"

"Drop the charges and we don't have to find out, save yourself the embarrassment,"

"I feel bad having to spell this out for someone with such little criminal defence experience but there's no deal for you here and by that I mean this whole office, no one will hear you out because of who your client is,"

"Sounds like prosecutorial misconduct to me,"

"Oh no sweetie just making sure your client finally gets some justice. We are done here,"

"See you in the courtroom. Oh and word of caution, I'm not the kind of bitch that whispers."

On her way out of the ADA's office, she files a motion for a hearing with a federal judge the next morning. She gets in the elevator ready to leave and someone gets in at the last second.

"It's been a while, Fatima,"

She looks up from her phone, "Gary? What are you doing here? You're supposed to be in jail,"

"Well, I got out. No thanks to you bitch."

"I am not the one Gary and you already know that. Stay away from me and stay away from Andi,"

"Nah, I'm going to get what's mine, and you're going to help me."

"Motherfucker are you delusional?"

"You don't know what I'm capable of Fatima so if you know what's best for you you'll help me get her back," he finishes just as the elevator doors open and he slips out.

Fatima isn't sure what to make of the whole situation but by the time she left the courthouse, she is over the whole day and just wants to get home to Zac since he is the only one that could turn her day around. It had been a few weeks since they had made it official and things were better than ever between them.

When she gets home he isn't home yet so she decides to take a bath to relax while waiting for him.

"Sup," he says coming into the bathroom sometime later.

"Hey you," she replies smiling at him

"How was your day?" he asks sitting at the edge of the tub

"Awful,"

"I got something to make it better,"

"You brought me wine," she says smiling and taking the glass he offered

"And did. Talk to me about what's on your mind,"

"Its just work, don't worry about it,"

"Hey, I'm your man right?"