Chapter 15: The Ruy Lopez

The next morning Zac was running late for work thanks to Fatima and was now speeding down the highway. Everything seemed normal, except when he checked the rearview and the side mirror he noticed a dark sedan with tinted windows was about fifteen feet away from him and had been for about ten minutes.

With another quick check, he recognized the driver as Gary, his jaw tightened and he dialled Rafael's number,

"Zac, how are you doing,"

"I'm good Raf, bro I need a favour,"

"Anything, what's going on?"

"I've got a tail and it's nothing serious but I think I'll need eyes on him for a bit. There isn't enough traffic for me to lose him so I'm going to drive by you and I need you to get someone on him,"

"Do you want me to take care of him?"

"Nah, if he's stupid enough to try anything I'll light his ass up myself, I just need a report on where he's going when he isn't tailing me."

"Ok, how far away are you?"

"About fifteen minutes,"

Zac's eyes flicked to the rear-view mirror again and he made a detour from his route to work so that Gary could follow him and Rafael could get someone to follow Gary in case he tried to do the same thing to Fatima.

Once he makes it to Rafael's office he sees Gary drive off and Rafael's guy follows behind him.

"Who is the tail?"

"Some guy that knows Fatima from college,"

"Is he stalking her?"

"I think he is trying to but I'll shut that down if he tries it,"

"Cool, so I hear you've been looking into Baxter, anything I should be concerned about," Rafael says taking a seat behind his desk.

"Nah, it's personal. He had a bunch of hillbillys shoot up Eden a few weeks ago and as a favour to Madam I said I would help make it easier for her to make a bang without attracting too much attention,"

"That makes sense, anything I can help with?"

"Actually there is. He has a company that he uses to siphon money from different sources and I have a plan to cause that company some financial difficulties,"

"Go on,"

"The plan is to make it difficult for them to maintain their trading position by way of reduced profits. And in another couple of weeks, the company will be insolvent,"

"Won't their audit show the true position of the company so he can increase the money going in?"

"That's where you come in, that guy Jimmy we used when I first started my firm. I need him to do an audit of Baxter's company that way the audit will show only what I say and not the true position of the company,"

"I hear you, but how will you hide the true picture of the company?"

"When Baxter set up the company he gave himself the majority share and the rest he divided amongst his wife and other family and a small portion of the shares is owned by people he owes money to for political favours,"

"Those people are only interested in the value of their shares because they get their money out via dividends so even though the shares don't grow in value they don't slump either so they don't panic. The people that know about the company don't expect it to collapse because it is just a front to somewhat clean dirty money at the end of the day."

"Ok, I think I'm still with you. Go on,"

"Right, so Jimmy will come in and his job will be to hide the borrowing that the company is going to start doing. They are going to need to borrow significant amounts of money to pay off SEC penalties. Knowing Baxter he will try and get around it by going to someone at the SEC and that's where our friend Bill Watts comes in, he will recommend borrowing money from an offshore bank called Horizon Trust."