Chapter 25: Smile and wave

Fatima leaned against the counter drinking her coffee and watching Zac move back and forth through the apartment. In the last week, he'd been swamped with work, even now he was on the phone talking business as he gathered his things that were scattered across the table.

They hadn't spent much time together in that time either, he'd been getting home later than usual and they barely had time to talk once he was home before they both had to go to sleep. She didn't want to sound or come off as needy but she missed him.

Still, on the phone, Zac grabbed his keys off the counter next to her and turned to leave. Her eyes narrowed as he left their apartment without bothering to acknowledge her.

She set her coffee down in the sink and grabbed the laptop bag that he'd left sitting on the table. Fatima rushed out after him only to bump into him already heading back into the apartment. She held the bag out to him, and when he reached for it she moved it behind her back.

His brow furrowed as he looked at her. Fatima pointed at his earbuds, mouthing for him to take them out.

"Aight bro, I'll speak with you when I get to the office." He said ending the call.

"I need my bag." He said smiling at her.

"You can have it," she paused looking at him, "after you answer my question." He cocked his head to the side, waiting for her.

 "Are you okay? Is something going on?"

"I'm fine, T." He said pulling her into his arms and kissing the top of her head. "Work has been insane lately."

The words didn't match his body language. He was going through the motions. His hug and kiss felt mechanical as if he was doing it only to appease her.

"Right, work," she said holding his bag out to him. "Can I see you for lunch?"

"I'll be working through lunch," he said looking everywhere but her face.

A lump formed in her throat as he lied to her. "Okay, I'll see you when you get home then. Bye." she turned, heading back inside.

Zac gently grabbed her wrist, rubbing his thumb over her tattoo and pulse, "I love you, T."

She just smiled, pulling her wrist out of his hand and heading back inside not wanting to speak, in fear that he would hear the sadness in her voice and she didn't want to seem ridiculous.

Thinking she was reading too much into it she grabbed her phone and quickly dialled Andi for a video call,

"Zac's lying to me," she said angrily wiping a tear from her cheek.

"About what?" Andi asked.

"I don't know. Everything. Things have been off between us for the past week. Maybe the honeymoon phase of our relationship is over?" It's only been a few months since they got together.

"Maybe he's already tired of me or changed his mind about wanting a relationship?"

"Did you ask him?" Andi asks, applying highlighter to her cheeks.

"Yes. He lied. Blamed work. This sounds superficial, but we haven't fucked in a week. Which is no big deal right? We don't always have to have sex. Except we have sex every day, multiple times a day and now nothing. Then," Fatima paced the length of the living room. "This morning. He barely even acknowledged me."

"I don't know Tima, Zac loves you and he's made it very clear. Maybe talk to him and find out what's going on, you know sometimes your mind goes places putting a hundred on ten,"

"How am I supposed to talk to him? He's been coming home late and even when he's here it's like he's not here,"

"Maybe go talk to him in a place where he's forced to talk to you and he can't go nowhere,"