FIVE

James knocks softly, anxiously gripping at the small bouquet of pink carnations in his hand; a flower that represents a mother's love.

It's a gloomy Sunday evening and he had finally worked up the courage to tell his parents about his pregnancy. James had brought flowers, and in the back pocket of his jeans; the small sonogram that he had been given two days prior.

In those two days, James has gazed at the sonogram many, many times; perhaps in disbelief that that small blob is inside of him; and in time is going to grow into a bigger blob.

James' morning sickness had miraculously morphed into all day long sickness and he's feeling quite sick right now; he isn't sure if it is out of pure nervousness, or because there is a very tiny baby currently trying to steal all of his health.

He is wearing his jeans and a loose grey jumper; hoping that his attire cancels out how pasty his usually sun kissed complexion is right now.

Euphemia opens the door with a cheery, welcoming grin. "James, my love," She greets as she pulls him in for a swift hug. "You didn't mention you'd be coming over, sweetheart,"

In truth, James hadn't told his parents that he would be coming over. Which is strange for him, and he knows that his mother realises that too. He always notifies his mother before coming for a visit; just out of habit, he supposes. However, James hasn't this time.

He hadn't wanted to give her any notice; just incase he decided to let his anxiousness surrounding his unplanned pregnancy best him and he backed out at the last minute.

James smiles bashfully as he squeezes his mother. "I know, I know," He muses. "But I wanted to spend some time with you and dad," He answers honestly. His mother need not know of his alterier motive for his spontaneous visit just yet. "I brought you some flowers, mum," He gestures gingerly to the bouquet; water droplets sliding down the petals from the rain.

"You did?" Euphemia's smile widens. She looks to the flowers in James' hand. "Carnations. They're beautiful, darling, thank you," She thanks, taking the flowers from her son. "I'm going to go find a vase for these," She presses a soft kiss to James' cheek, stepping aside to welcome him into the house. "Come in, come in, you'll catch your death out here. Your fathers in the living room,"

James nods and makes for the living room. His dad is seated in his large maroon armchair; his glasses sat upon the bridge of his nose as he skims through the Sunday paper. He looks up when James takes a seat opposite him on the nearby sofa.

"James, son, what a lovely surprise," Fleamont beams. He puts his paper down, adjusting his glasses, sliding them up on the bridge of his nose. "How are you?"

James nods. "M'good dad, just wanted to stop by to say hi," He smiles softly. "How's everything here?"

Fleamont chuckles. "Well, Earl is misbehaving as usual, but other than that; life is lovely,"

Earl, James' replacement and surrogate brother; a grey coloured Scottish terrier with a yappy mouth and a bright red ribbon tied around his neck. James had gifted him to his parents when he had moved out and had begun touring more; Earl was a going away present, of sorts, a way to make James leaving the nest a little easier for his elderly parents.

Earl keeps Euphemia and Fleamont endlessly entertained, and that is all that James cares about; as long as Earl stops shredding the sofa cushions, Earl is the perfect replacement.

James laughs. "Where is that little rat anyways?" He smirks. "Following mum around the kitchen, I'd bet,"

Fleamont chuckles softly, nodding. "You know how much your mother loves that pup,"