22

_________________________________________
N A I R A
_________________________________________

I can't stand anyone harassing my family, and what I saw at Nani's place was unexpected.

My parents, whom I hadn't seen in years, sat before me. I asked, "Why are you here? Nani, Nanu, did you invite them?"

"Nahi bitiya rani, humne nahi bulaya. Hum to khud bohot saalon baad dekha hai in dono ko," Nani replied, clearly surprised.

(No dear, we didn't call them. We're seeing them after many years.)

"Mumma-Daddy, did you bring our ice creams? Give me the first one," Kartavya eagerly asked.

Shanaya and Tarun took the kids to their room with their ice creams. Before heading to their room, the kids hugged us tightly, kissed my cheeks, and whispered something to Kartik. He smiled, stroking their cheeks lovingly, and they rushed to Tarun and Shanaya.

The uninvited guests looked at Kartavya and Kaira with amusement in their eyes. I scowled and said, "Don't even look at them. They are innocent kids, too kind to be fooled by someone like you."

Kartik helped me stay calm and not burst in front of my family. As my so-called parents approached for a hug, I raised my hand to prevent them from getting any closer.

"Do not come near me. I don't want you to show up now and act like everything is fine as if nothing happened. Everything did happen. If Nani and Nanu want you two here, then you can come," I exclaimed and rushed to my room without looking back.

_________________________________________
K A R T I K
_________________________________________

I followed her to her room to check on her, I was tense about her well-being. She can be intimidating when upset. As soon as I opened the door to our room, I found her on the balcony, sitting on the swing.

Carefully, I made my way to the balcony, ignoring the broken glass on the floor, only to discover her weeping silently with her eyes tightly shut.

"Oh, Naira, what are you doing here in this cold weather? You will catch a fever. Come inside". I scolded her gently, holding her arm.

She got up and wrapped her arms around me. I hugged her in return, rubbing her back to comfort her. Soon, I felt her tears soaking my shirt.

Pecking her head, I cupped her face, making her look at me. "Oh, baby, look at me." I wiped away her tears, unable to bear seeing her cry or sad.

"Come on now, stop crying. Stop thinking about that and focus on all the plans you made for Shanaya's marriage" I whispered to her, kissing her forehead. She smiled and nodded. I carried her to our bed and carefully laid her down. Filling a glass of water for her, I gave her the medicines.

I lay beside her, she rested her head on my chest snuggling me. "Good night, Kartik. I love you so much," she said sleepily, kissing my cheek. I smiled and kissed her cheek. "Good night, Naira. I love you too, Fiore." We slept peacefully, forgetting all our problems.

_________________________________________
Next day
_________________________________________

The persistent buzzing of the alarm finally woke me. I settled on making something for Naira to help her get past recent events.

I whipped up some cinnamon waffles and espresso, placing them on a tray and taking them to our room. Naira looked adorable while sleeping, but I had to wake her to ensure she had breakfast.

It has been a while since I had waffles for breakfast, especially not ones made by Kartik. Today, I felt genuinely happy. Kartik and I had a surprise planned for Shanaya.

After getting ready, I checked on the kids in their room. They have become so attached to India.

My babies have grown up so much; they are turning six this weekend, but it still feels like it all happened just a few months ago.

Kartavya and Kaira were a surprise for us. We knew we were having Kaira, but we had no idea about the other twin. Kaira hid her brother from us, so we did not know if we were having a boy or a girl. Kartik hoped for a girl, but I wanted a little companion for my little girl, a frog prince.