Chapter 03|Phone Call

●●

●●

Heather looked up from her picture book as soon as her mother walked in to Heather's room.

"What are you doing?" Betty asked her daughter as she leaned against the doorframe. "I'm looking at the pictures when I was happy," said Heather sarcastically with a sigh. "Jesus, I still don't where you got that sarcasm from," said Betty as she sat down next to Heather. "Definitely not from aunt Phoebe," said Heather with a sigh.

Heather had a aunt named Phoebe. But when she was eight, Phoebe died in a car accident with her boyfriend. 

"Yeah," Heather muttered as she pushed the picture book aside. "How's Dad?"

"Not much better. Phoebe her death really damaged him," Betty said with a sigh. Heather nodded, wondering if Patrick would have reacted as badly if she had died instead of his sister, her aunt. 

"I still have biology homework to do," Heather lied to her mother. Her mother nodded. "I'll leave you alone so you can concentrate," said Betty as she gave her daughter a kiss on her forehead. 

Betty closed her daughter's bedroom door with a smile. 

Heather wandered off in her thoughts. 

Her mother did not seem at all sad when Phoebe had died. Did she care about her at all? Heather had to admit that she wasn't that sad either. Now it finally was about her for once. 

Heather used to have huge attention issues. Phoebe got all the attention because she was special. Because she was super smart and studied at Harvard.

Heather always sat alone upstairs while her father, mother and Phoebe sat downstairs cozily watching TV. And when Heather came downstairs they didn't even notice she was there. 

That's why Heather loved being popular. Everyone wanted to be her and everyone wanted her attention and everyone gave her attention.

Until the lie spread. Heather wanted to die back then, but unfortunately she was the center of the circus at school. 

Heather shot out of her thoughts as soon as her phone rang. Heather frowned. Who the hell would call her this late? 

Heather hesitated, but picked up anyway. 

"Hello?" asked Heather as she frowned. "Hey," sounded a familiar voice.

It was Billy.

"Hi," said Heather with relief. "Why are you calling me and how did you get my number?"

"I asked around," Billy lied. "I just got a new phone and a new number," said Heather teasingly. "Did you break into the administration office?"

"Yeah, how do you know?" Billy asked with a smile. "It was a guess," said Heather laughing.

Billy's smile grew even wider as soon as he heard her laughter. 

"So, why are you calling me?"

"Just checking to see how you are doing," Billy admitted.

Heather was glad he couldn't see her blushing. No boy ever had checked to see how she was doing.

"I'm fine. And how are you?" Heather asked as she sat down in her comfortable desk chair. "Fine. So, you do cheerleading?" asked Billy as he lay down on his bed. 

"Yeah, even team captain," Heather told him proudly. "I can see why you are team captain. I saw you on the field this afternoon," said Billy. "Really?" asked Heather surprised. "Yeah. You're great," said Billy proudly. 

''Wow, thank you,'' said Heather as she blushed. "Do you play sports?"

"Nah, takes too much time," answered Billy. "I think you could play football well. You have the body for it," Heather blurted out.

She quickly slapped her hand to her mouth as soon as she realized what was coming out of her mouth. 

"I'm sorry. That's not what I meant to say."

Billy chuckles and imagines Heather with a red face of embarrassment. 

"It's okay. I see what you mean," Billy said chuckling to not make it awkward. "Yeah," muttered Heather embarrassed.

"Hey, no need to feel embarrassed. I just forget what you said, but I'll take it as a compliment," Billy reassured the McCoy girl.

"You haven't had that compliment before?" Heather asked in surprise. "Never," answered Billy. "Weird. Because you really have the body for it. And oh my god, I really need to stop saying that," said Heather laughing.

Billy chuckled.

"I'm going to forget about that, too," lied Billy. "Thank you," said Heather nervously.

The two talked for another two hours until Billy had to hang up because he had to help his father. 

Billy was lying on his bed. He was sure he would never forget that. He also thought Heather had a beautiful body and a nice personality. Jesus, all he could think about was Heather. 

Heather plops down on her bed with a smile that was also in her eyes. She already loved attention, but Billy's attention was different. It was really about Heather herself and not her body. 

She had never had such attention before, but she loved it. This is the attention she always hoped for. She thought she would find it with Joey, but instead she found it from Billy Loomis. 

"Who were you talking to on the phone?" Betty asked her daughter. "Jesus, Mom. I could have been naked!" screamed Heather startled. "That doesn't matter. I am your mother. I've seen you naked so many times, and you're not even naked," said her mother sighing.

"That's no reason that you can just see me naked. I need privacy too," Heather grumbled. "Was it a boy? Was it Joey? Are you getting back together?" her mother asked hopefully. 

Betty McCoy loved Joey with her whole life. After all, Joey was the 'perfect' boyfriend in her eyes. Betty also put the blame on Heather when things broke up between the two. 

Heather rolled her eyes. 

"No, it wasn't Joey. It was Billy, Billy Loomis," Heather told her. "He's my chemistry partner and he was checking to see how I was doing."

"Friends or more?" her mother asked curiously. "Jesus, mom, no. We've only known each other since today and he just wanted to be nice," snapped Heather. "Mhm. There's something behind it," said her mother with a grin. 

"Ugh, mom," said Heather as she threw a pillow at her mother's head. Betty dodged the pillow just in time and slammed the door shut. 

But what Heather didn't know is that Betty was right. There's more behind it.......

●●