High expectations

I lay looking out the window until sunrise, watching as people come and go, I notice Hazelle carrying a bundle of sheets to the burn bin outside, she's speaking in a hushed voice to another lady I recognise as a neighbour.

"She lost so much blood, it must have been close to 3 pints, I didn't know what to do. All I could think about is getting that baby out and praying that she would last long enough to meet her."

My head starts to spin and I feel sick to my stomach, I had never been afraid of blood, I'd watched the butchers in the hob cutting there meat up to sell, if anything it intrigued me to see the different animals we could eat, but knowing all that came from my mother? I couldn't even think about it.

I hear my dad leave for work, I know he works in the mines and that it's dangerous, he always tells me not to think about it and that he will be home by the time the moon comes out, some days he's so tired that he falls asleep at the table eating tea, but he's always around to read me a story before bed.

"Hey kat", my mum whispers as I come into her room, she's laid on the wooden bed, she looks so pale, her skin is ice white, she's always very fair but she's sickly looking now.

"I don't think I can make you any dinner baby, my body can't get up right now, but there should be some vegetables in the cupboard you can have".

I climb on the kitchen chair and open up the cupboards above, nothing.

I go into the pantry, all I can see if crackers, that will do, I'll take a couple for mum too.

That night when my parents think I'm asleep I heard them talking between them.

"I'm not making enough milk, there's nothing for her. If I can't get anymore she won't survive another day, she's so fragile". My mum sobs.

"You're going to have to let me go hunt Marie, I know you don't want me too but if you don't eat, you won't get better and she's going to die, we can't go through that." Dad explains cautiously.

"Samwell, you know how dangerous it is, if you get caught.." He cuts her off.

"If... I won't, it won't happen, me and Kat will be in and out in a heartbeat, she's got light feet made for hunting".

"You're NOT taking her with you". Mum exclaims.

"I need to, you know that anything could happen down in the mines, if you end up alone she needs to know what to do".