CHAPTER 18

To Jeovanni:
I'm going to the library.

Lucas had skipped school today. So I took that as an opportunity to spend my break at the library. There had been a while since I was able to spend some time there. Although I had learnt to enjoy the janitor's closet, I couldn't say that I didn't miss being so close to books, hiding between the shelves or being sat in one of the couches. Either way, Jeovanni always managed to find me. An annoying occurrence at first, but a welcoming one now.

From Jeovanni:
I never left

I smiled down at my phone, hurriedly making my way to the library. As soon as I walked in, I caught sight of Jeovanni laying down on the couch, disgustingly putting his shoes on it.

"I finished the book" I dropped Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on his lap, making him look up from his phone to me "I need the next one" I pushed his legs off of the sofa, sitting down where his shoes previously were "I'm sitting on the dirt now because of you, thanks"

"What do you mean? My shoes are clean" He raised his foot and practically kicked my face with his meant to be white, but not so white, snicker's sole.

"Stop being gross" I grimaced, pushing his leg away from me one more time, what caused Jeovanni to chuckle.

"I'll have the house to myself tonight" He told me.

"Good for you" I muttered, scrolling through my phone. Although I tried to sound nonchalant, my heart skipped a beat at his suggestive comment.

"You can come over" He continued, and I kept my eyes off of Jeovanni as a way to try to calm my beating heart "I can lend you the fourth book" He added "We can watch a movie"

I glared at him, not liking the fact that he didn't shut up. His words reminded me of what Lucas told me. Was Jeovanni inviting me to have sex with him? Everyone said he did stuff and then he was bye-bye. And even if we were in a universe where Jeovanni had never had that reputation in the first place, I wasn't going to have sex with him. Kissing him was hard enough.

"I don't want to do what you want us to do" I said sternly.

"What?" He frowned, his eyes widening a second later as he sat up straight "No, Jack, no. I meant actually watch a movie. You only watched the first one of the series, right? God, I wasn't inviting you to- No, I'm not an asshole"

I eyed him with my eyes slightly narrowed, trying to analyze if there were any second intentions behind his words. I didn't like doubting Jeovanni. He never did anything to show me I shouldn't trust him. But I also couldn't help but feel like he'd hurt me anytime. I never knew someone who didn't.

"You'll cook dinner again"

"What?"

"You heard me" I stood up, putting an end to our conversation, because I was afraid I'd change my mind if I didn't.

"I knew you liked my pasta" I could hear the smile on his voice as I walked towards the library's exit.

I did nothing but show him my middle finger as soon as I reached the door, rolling my eyes when all he did back was grin at me. And then I was out of his sight.

*

Later that day, I knocked on Jeovanni's window. He caught sight of me even before my knuckles met the glass, though. And he let me in with a hint of a smile on his lips and a bit of confusion in his eyes.

"Windows are our thing" I told him, trying to ease out his wonder.

It worked, because all that was left was his grin. He placed his hand on my waist and brought me closer to him so he'd kiss my temple, making me look down in a mix of excitement and embarrassment.