CHAPTER 43

I was finally back home.

My family was practically suffocating me with so much attention, but I thought it endearing and felt good about all that care. Even Charlie was constantly in my room, begging for me to pet him all the time.

I couldn't close my door anymore, and Alvarez had taken away the lock of it. I could only close my door when there was someone else in the room with me. Just like right now, when Jeovanni was lying on the bed with me, passing me his notes on trigonometry.

"How am I supposed to memorize twenty three different formulas?" I complained as I went through his notes with my head on his chest, our legs tangled "Also, your handwriting sucks. I can barely read it"

"Thanks" He stroked my hair "Next time I'll just let you fail"

I raised my head to look at him with the sole purpose of showing him my eye roll.

"Y'know, eye-rolling isn't your sexiest look"

"Fuck you" I laughed, smacking his chest with the back of my hand.

"I'm in if you want to" He leaned down to press his lips against mine in a soft kiss.

He was about to pull away, but I put my hand on the side of his neck and kept him there. I focused on the sensation of his lips slipping past mine, even though they were barely touching. I could feel his breathing against my skin, and I didn't have to put my hand over his heart to know it was beating like crazy. Mine also was, reminding me I was alive. And living this.

"I love you, Jeo" I murmured, feeling out of air.

His lips brushed against mine as he spoke his next words.

"I love you, Jack"

Jeovanni didn't seem so unreal anymore. And I no longer felt like he'd walk away at any moment.

"Hello, oh no-"

I stayed in Jeo's embrace as I looked to the side and saw Lucas standing by the doorway, his face turned the other way and, as if that wasn't enough, his hand hiding it. I smiled when I saw him and sat up.

"It's okay, Lucas. You can look now"

He carefully did as I said, and his shoulders dropped in relief when he saw that Jeovanni and I weren't kissing anymore.

"Dani told me you tried to kill yourself" He bluntly said.

I blinked and let out a short, nervous laugh, although his sentence caused me extreme discomfort. I don't think I'd ever get used to his absolute honesty.

"Yeah..." I scratched the back of my neck.

"I didn't visit you at the hospital because it's a depressing and unhealthy environment" He continued "You can easily get an infection there"

"Okay, Lucas" Jeo tried to intervene, keeping a light tone "How have you been?"

"I think I'm supposed to ask Jack that" He tilted his head "My sister said that while she drove me here, but I don't understand. You're clearly unwell considering what happened"

I looked down in shame and tugged on my long sleeves.

"He'll get better" Jeo replied for me, shuffling closer to me until my back hit his chest and I could lean on him.

"That's great" Lucas said "I hope you do get better, Jack"

"Yeah, me too" I cleared my throat "Since we already cleared up that I'm unwell, can we talk about you now?" I tried to take the attention off of me, glancing at him again.

"I'm okay" He answered "Chester has diarrhea"

I contorted my face in disgust and Jeo laughed, his chest vibrating against my back.