CHAPTER 1

"Imi place sa ma joc cu tine" I repeated over and over again in my room "Imi place sa ma joc cu tine"

Yesterday, Aubrey, my babysitter, told me her mother was Romanian. I didn't know what that meant, so she showed me a map and taught me all there was to know about countries. With that, I found out Aubrey could speak Romanian, so I decided to learn how to say "I like to play with you" to make her happy.

The second I heard Aubrey's voice in the living room downstairs, I bolted out of my bedroom to show her what I've practiced. I hoped I had gotten it right. I stopped in my heels when I saw that my dad was talking to her, and hid behind the handrail to listen to what they were saying. Aubrey told me once we shouldn't listen to private conversations, but I never had one of those with my dad, so I wanted to know how it was like to talk to him.

"Maybe you could stay a little bit later, and I could show you my office" I frowned when I saw my dad slide his hand under Aubrey's dress.

She quickly took a few steps back and started to shake her head, letting out an awkward laugh.

"Sir, I'm flattered, but I have no interest in having any sort of relationship that is more than professional with you" She said "Plus, Jack's a wonderful boy, and I don't think it'd be fair to him if we overstepped"

"I think you got me all wrong" My dad laughed, shaking his head "It wasn't quite a suggestion" He stepped forward "You like your job, don't you, Ms. Gheata? I pay you well, it's the least you can do" His hands now were over her breast.

Aubrey then stopped talking and didn't move. My lips curled downwards. I didn't understand what was happening, but I didn't feel like it was something good. Aubrey seemed uncomfortable.

"I have to go to my job now" My dad sighed, finally distancing himself from her "I hope you make up your mind until I go back, Aubrey. And I hope your answer is a yes" He left her alone in the living room, but she didn't come upstairs like I thought she would. She weirdly just stood in place for a few minutes before clearing her throat and making her way upstairs.

I ran back to my bedroom so she wouldn't find out I was spying on them, and opened a huge grin when she walked in.

"Aubrey, Aubrey!" I grinned bigger so I could show her my missing teeth. When I cried about losing my teeth, she said I looked beautiful without it and told me all about the tooth fairy "Guess what I learnt"

"Jack, I don't feel too well" She said, looking down at the floor "I think I'm going to go home, alright? I'll ask for Angela to keep an eye on you until your dad gets back"

"But... I learnt something for you"

"Yeah, sweetie, I know" She finally looked up before kneeling down to match my eye level "You behave for me, alright? You're an amazing boy; don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise"

I never saw Aubrey again. I cried every day for two months, praying she returned. But I guess there wasn't anyone up there to hear me like Aubrey said there was. The tooth fairy was also gone. My teeth always stayed in place after the nights passed by, and I never gained any more coins. When I asked my dad why Aubrey was gone, he simply shrugged and told me:

"She told me she quit because of you. She didn't like you"

I had other babysitters after Aubrey, but they never lasted. I guess I could never make one like me enough to stay.

I woke up when my head hit against the car's window when Radesh went through a speed bump. I shot him a glare and he gave me an apologetic smile before turning his eyes back to the road.