CHAPTER 20

I was smoking outside, waiting for Jeovanni to come pick me up. There had been a while since I smoked when I stopped to think about it. But the call I had received just a few minutes ago asked for a cigarette.

I was just about to leave my room when my phone started ringing, and when I saw the name of the person who was calling me, my eyebrows furrowed slightly as I hovered my thumb over the accept call button. I took a deep breath and decided to press it.

"Hey, Jack" My aunt Charlotte's voice resonated close to my ear. She sounded unsure "I'm calling to wish you a happy birthday"

She was met with silence as I didn't know what to reply. There had been months since I heard from Charlotte. She had ceased our interactions since I outted her son's boyfriend to our school. I didn't want her to press pause on that only to wish me a happy birthday.

"Are you there?" Her question snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah" I answered after a moment of hesitation "Um... Thanks, I guess"

Aunt Charlotte always wanted to do something for my birthday as I grew up, but I refused at all times. She never pushed it, and I was grateful for that. I didn't understand how she could be able to celebrate the day her sister died. My aunt had an unimaginable strength I could only dream of.

"Listen, honey..." She trailed "I know we haven't talked there's been a while, but I hope you understand I was... Well, I was disappointed. You really hurt Kaden, and-"

"I understand" I cut her off. I knew I had hurt him. I knew I had hurt her. I knew I had hurt everyone.

I did understand that she stopped talking to me because I messed with her son. And although I did understand, I got revolted. Because Kaden had done a lot of fucked up things and she never backed away. But she backed away when it was me. And she may believe that our actions can't be compared, because Kaden was hurting when he screwed up. But I had also been hurting during all my life. Even though she never noticed it.

It was probably selfish of me to think that after I had literally outted someone. After I had killed her sister. She had no reasons whatsoever to talk to me. But I couldn't help feeling that way. I didn't feel loved by her. And it bothered me to admit I felt sorrow because of that.

"I miss you" She concluded "I'm sorry I was away for this long"

I gulped.

"It's okay" I lied "I'm alright" I lied once more.

"So," She continued with a sigh "How have you been?"

"I..." Didn't want to talk to her right now "Am actually going out with a friend right now. We can talk later, right? I hope everyone is okay there"

"Yes, we can talk later; of course" She agreed "Everyone here is great. Dana says hi"

"Tell her I said hi too" I let out a small smile at the mention of my little cousin.

"Will do" She replied "Enjoy your birthday, Jack"

"Thanks, bye" I hung up.

I wanted to turn to my razor blade after that phone call, but Jeovanni texted me he'd arrive in five minutes, so I settled for grabbing my pack of cigarettes and leaving. And that led me to where I was now. Outside, watching the clouded sky as I waited for my... friend? The point is, five minutes had passed by and he still wasn't here.

My cigarette was already in its end as I smoked fast, thinking that maybe he had given up on picking me up and I was going to spend the whole evening waiting for him. Maybe he was standing me up. Maybe he was still mad at me–