CHAPTER 23

I had a good dream today.

Happiness wasn't the exact feeling I had when I woke up, but the sensation was far from the ones I had when I woke up from a memory. So I decided to call it a good dream.

It wasn't that big of a deal, really. It was night. The sky was full of stars. It was a moonless sky. I didn't mind it, though. I was alone, but that wasn't a bad thing. I was lying on the grass of the junkyard, next to a lot of rusty cars. And that was it. I just looked at the sky. And there was nothing else in my mind but the stars. I had no company other than the abandoned cars. It was just me. And I didn't feel bothered by it.

This time, the alarm was the one who pulled me out of my sleep. I turned it off and was determined to get five more minutes of sleep, wishing to return to the junkyard, where there were no worries. But I stopped myself when I caught sight of Jeovanni's painting on my wall.

I felt like I was seeing the person who was lying on that grass, under the starry sky, in the depths of my unconscious. But I didn't have to fall asleep again to see it. So I took a deep breath and got out of the bed.

The day was pretty dull, just like the rest of the week. It was weird having to interact with my family after they had found out I hurt myself. They didn't talk about it, but it was noticeable how they were giving me more attention. To be completely honest, I felt good with all that care. It was something I had never had before. And I just kept thinking about how unreal it must have been Danielle's life; how utopic was having parents like Alvarez and Mallory. I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

One more thing that happened this week was that I resumed to my habit of spending my break and lunch time with Lucas in the janitor's closet. I had some explaining to do first, though. I told Lucas I was having a bad day that night of my birthday, and apologized for scaring him. He was awkward about it at first, but things got back to normal quickly. Thankfully. I didn't want to lose Lucas'... friendship? It was weird calling someone my friend.

Also, Jeovanni and I were texting each other a lot now. There was no specific subject, though. We just talked about whatever came to our minds. That was something new too. Being able to talk about nothing relevant and feeling good about it. And even though we chatted about the most stupid matters, I found myself smiling at every single message he sent me.

The only time I saw him in person was Thursday, when he and I shared a class together. When I arrived to the classroom, he was the only one there. Once he laid his eyes on me, I felt anxious. I remembered that day when he gave me that small smile and returned to his conversation with the people that were at Oliver's party.

One more time, I didn't know how to act. I didn't know if I talked to him, if I sat down next to him, or whatever. It was so weird to having talked to him through text all week, to have spent Saturday and Sunday kissing him, and not know how to be around him in school.

Unlike last time, he made me feel more secure when he gave me the smile that was proper of his, the smile he always gave me when he saw me, and motioned for me to come over. I gave him a small smile myself and made my way towards him, standing next to him once I got there.

"What are you doing?" He asked me with a hint of laughter in his voice, that smile not leaving his face "Sit down" He nodded towards the chair next to his.

"What are you drawing?" I questioned, doing as he told me to and internally relaxing at his request.

He lifted the paper on his desk to show me a drawing of the junkyard he had taken me last Saturday.

Jeovanni's sketch caused my heart to paralyze and my words to get lost. It was as if he had transported me back to my dream with just some colors and a few traced lines.