CHAPTER 37

I was woken up by something tickling my cheek.

I scratched it and tried to go back to sleep, but the tickling continued. My eyes slowly opened when the sensation moved to my jaw, and I realized it was Jeovanni's lips that provoked me such feeling.

"What are you doing?" My voice came out raspy, a small smile pulling the corner of my lips as I rolled over to face him.

"Kissing you"

Jeovanni moved my shirt to kiss my collarbone, causing my smile to vanish. Instinctively, I pushed him away from me and sat up. My reaction made him widen his eyes. He opened his mouth to say something, but then closed it and furrowed his eyebrows, as if unsure of what to do and what to think.

"I..." I tried to find something to say. I cleared my throat "I'm just not in the mood"

Whenever Jeovanni and I did something sexual, we removed all of our clothes. And I didn't want him to see the new cuts on my skin.

"Okay..." His expression didn't change "You can just say so, you don't have to push me. You know I wouldn't do anything you don't want to do"

"I know" I quickly nodded "Sorry"

"It's okay" He got off of the bed, and I didn't like – although I didn't blame him – how he still seemed confused "I'm gonna hit the shower"

"Okay"

As soon as the bathroom's door closed, I let out a deep breath and rested my head on my hands. I didn't know what to do. I felt like I was holding back our relationship, and the best thing I could do for Jeovanni was break up with him. But I was selfish. I didn't want to lose him. Even though a part of me knew I was already doing that by acting like... Well, by acting like me.

I dropped my arms by my sides and looked down at the necklace I was wearing. I took the pendant between my fingers, feeling my eyes fill up with tears. Stop it. Stop crying. I closed my eyes, one tear falling on the murano glass. I breathed in deeply, opening my eyes again and wiping off their corners, putting on a blank expression.

I stood up and started to dress up, ignoring the lump in my throat that threatened to bust itself into tears at any time.

*

"Where were you?" Danielle asked me in a low voice when we were side by side putting food on our plates "We were worried as fuck"

Out" I answered plainly "I needed some air"

"That was extremely irresponsible" She scolded me in a hushed whisper "That guy deserved to get punched, but we don't know him. He could have had a weapon, and then what were you going to do?"

"Probably die" I replied dryly.

"Exactly" She said "And you don't want that, do you?"

I didn't answer.

"Just... stop being stupid for once"

We sat down across from each other, Jeovanni sitting down by my side a second after. I tugged on my sleeves and began to eat. The talk was upbeat, and no one mentioned what happened yesterday. But even with their excitement and jokes, I didn't find it in me to join their conversation.

Jeo kept giving me side glances during the entire breakfast, but I pretended I didn't notice it. I simply continued to eat, even though I wasn't hungry at all. I only spoke when Jeo talked directly to me.

"Do you want the rest of my fruit salad?" He leaned on his chair and rubbed his stomach "I'm full"

"You're full? From a fruit salad?" I raised an eyebrow, looking down at the bowl in front of him "I can't eat this, there are only strawberries"