Chapter Four

After watching movies and eating all the snacks, my friends bid me goodnight. I had hugged them both and blew them kisses as they went through the door. You could tell I wished there was room for them to stay. Yet we weren't allowed to have people in our dorms past 9pm.

So I found myself in the little space alone once again.

I made my way over to my nightstand to see what my parents had gifted me. Pulling out the top drawer, I found a cute little gold box sitting atop some files I had stashed away. Wow, what could it be?

I could feel my excitement building as I was moments away from opening the box.

Taking a deep breath, I lifted the lid and was greeted by a pair of keys and a note.

Keys!?

I thought, trying to figure out what they could be for without reading the note.

A car maybe...

No they were too regular looking.

Then what?

Deciding it was best to just read the note. I retrieved the paper from the little box and unfolded it. Once it was completely unfolded I read the few words that neatly spread across the paper.

To show our love and to celebrate the blessing of the promotion.  Here are the keys to your Joint apartment! The directions have been emailed to you.We love you Meli!

With love,
Your parents

Oh right, mom had said something about a joint apartment.

I almost cried right then and there. As I had been praying for a bigger space, from the moment I had seen my dorm room that August morning. Now that prayer had finally been answered.

I was super excited to see the apartment but I'd have to wait until the next day. As I couldn't up and leave at such a late hour. Plus I didn't have a car, so I'd need a ride to the apartment.

I was certain Victoria would be happy to take me.

So I texted my mom and dad a heartfelt thank you. Expressing my happiness and appreciation over their wonderful gift. To which they told me I deserved it and they were so proud of me.

I was so motivated after texting my parents that I started on an essay that wasn't due for another 2 weeks. Yes, I was quite motivated and so overjoyed. I wouldn't be able to sleep unless I did some studying.

Reading the fine print in the textbook would surely weary my eyes.

So that's what I did, until 2 am in the morning. I studied my Sociology PowerPoint slides, looked over past papers. Then lastly I read some of my Academic Writing notes.

I hadn't realized how much time had passed until my eyes had wandered over to the clock. The big white circular clock that sat on my dreary grey wall. I saw the time and knew I had to get some rest.

So early the next morning when I arose from my slumber, I spent some time being thankful for life. Then I rolled out of bed and called Vicki. She answered on the 3rd ring, her voice groggy.

I could tell she was hungover. By the way her words rolled off her tongue slowly and choppily. Yup, Vicki had gone to a party after leaving my dorm. Which to me was oddly disappointing.

Didn't she have a pep rally to be at in the evening?

I was certain she had told me about a big pep rally on Saturday.  Now, I was unsure of asking her to take me to the apartment. She would need a little time to recover from the hangover.