Chapter 8

After the rehearsal concludes, the adults gather around the table, engaging in a discussion. Eren initiates, addressing Mikasa, "Mikasa, do we still count Hizuru as an ally to Paradis Island?"

Mikasa's expression darkens slightly, "I'm not entirely sure. They haven't reached out to me since the Rumbling."

Jean interjects, offering insight, "Let me explain. Hizuru continues to trade with Paradis Island. However, their nation is also in the process of rebuilding due to the aftermath of the Rumbling. Queen Historia provided some resources to aid Hizuru, which has significantly facilitated the recovery."

Eren's face reflects concern as he absorbs the information. "I see..."

Historia contributes, "Thanks to your advice, we've managed to alleviate food shortages in Stohess."

"I'm relieved to hear that," Eren acknowledges. "But still, I can't shake the feeling that being a shadow king wasn't the right path. It only led me down the same path as your father..."

"In the wake of the royal government's fall due to treason, the only faction capable of governing became the Yeagerists—those you and Floch recruited," Historia explains. "They didn't oppose your role as a shadow king, especially considering your possession of memories from the previous monarchs. But I'm grateful that both of you seem to handle this situation well."

Jean reluctantly admits, "As much as I dislike admitting it, Eren's political acumen surpasses mine. Moreover, without the weight of future memories pressing on him, he doesn't feel compelled to resort to something as horrendous as the Rumbling."

Gloria adds, "This feels like a form of atonement, in a way."

Outside, Erich, Fay, Wade, Laura, and Ymir are working together on the farm tasks. Carla, eager to assist, takes the heavy haystacks from Erich's hands.

"Carla, those are quite heavy. Are you sure you can handle them?" Erich expresses concern.

"Why not?" Carla responds determinedly. "I'm willing to help however I can."

Observing Erich and Carla's closeness, Ymir turns to Fay, inquiring about their relationship. "It seems like there's something between Erich and Carla. What's their story?"

Fay explains, "Let's just say Erich saved Carla's life and gave her the green scarf."

"Really?" Ymir responds, intrigued by the connection between the two.

"And we're committed to making sure they end up together. Would you like to join our efforts?" Wade invites Ymir.

Ymir smirks and agrees, "Count me in."

"Laura Tybur! Get back here!" Just then, they see Erich and Carla chasing after Laura, who yells, "I told you I'm sorry!"

Amidst the chaos, Erich and Carla chase after Laura, who's fervently apologizing. The commotion catches the attention of Reiner and the others.

"Laura Tybur? Wasn't she the War Hammer Titan that Eren consumed?" Pieck questions, surprised by the unexpected presence of a supposedly deceased Titan shifter.

"Did anyone survive from the Tybur family? I thought Eren wiped them all out..." Reiner expresses his confusion.

Simultaneously, Eren and the rest of the group step outside, curious about the disturbance.

Laura, seeking refuge behind Gloria, exclaims, "Save me, Mama! Erich Kruger wants to hurt me!"

Aya turns to Erich, seeking clarification. "Is that true, Erich?"

Erich responds calmly, "She accidentally knocked over the haystack Carla was holding. I'm not going to harm her, but there should be consequences for her actions."