Chapter 2

A month has passed since Eren's return, and Mikasa remains by the tree where she buried Eren's head. She is consumed by despair, haunted by the weight of her actions. Her promise to protect Eren, made to her adoptive mother, now feels like a cruel irony, as she herself became the one responsible for his demise. The burden of dread and guilt weighs heavily upon her, compelling her to distance herself from the Scouts.

Summoned to the capital by the queen's orders a month after the supposed burial, Mikasa notices a subdued atmosphere among the Yeagerists as she travels in the wagon. Upon arriving, she is greeted by Historia, who waits for her.

"Mikasa, welcome back," Historia greets her. "I assume Armin and the others aren't accompanying you?"

Mikasa nods slightly, her expression clouded with concern. "Armin and the others are engrossed in negotiating with the remaining factions of humanity. They won't return until they are certain everything is resolved."

"There are matters I must discuss with you," Historia begins, her tone grave. "Before departing from Marley, Eren confided in me. He disclosed his plan involving the Rumbling, intending to eradicate 80% of the population beyond the walls."

Mikasa's eyes widen in surprise as she questions, "Why did Eren confide in you and not us?"

Historia lets out a weary sigh, her expression carrying the weight of her burdens. "You remember the old military regime's insistence on making me a Titan Shifter, urging me to bear numerous children. Eren opposed this plan, and despite my initial resistance, I also found myself unable to accept it. While I initially refused, I ultimately chose to support Eren due to the pain he carries in his heart."

The realization dawns upon Mikasa, an understanding that she has failed to grasp the depth of Eren's internal anguish. Historia continues, "The power of the Attack Titan grants the ability to glimpse into the future. Even before witnessing the ocean, Eren foresaw a cascade of memories—Sasha's death, your conversation at Nicolo's restaurant, the assault on Liberio, and events unfolding in Shiganshina. He bore witness to everything since that moment."

Mikasa is flooded with a multitude of questions, wondering why Eren hadn't shared this foreknowledge with them. Historia adds, "As for the Yeagerists, Eren utilized the Founding Titan's powers to communicate with them, placing them under my command. Frankly, I refuse to become a mere puppet queen."

"I understand," Mikasa replies. "But during the conflict with Reiner and the others, we fought and killed many Yeagerists. Are you certain there won't be repercussions or punishment for our actions?"

"Even if we won't punish you, there are still soldiers who perceive you as someone who 'betrayed' our nation," Historia laments, her expression tinged with sadness. "So, what do you plan to do now, Mikasa?"

"I never truly saw myself as a member of the Corps. I only joined to protect Eren...but now that Eren is gone, and the Titans are no longer a threat, I feel like I've lost the will to fight," Mikasa confesses.

"I understand," Historia acknowledges empathetically. Deep within her, she yearns to disclose the news of Eren's continued existence, yet she remains bound by her promise to Eren, resolved not to divulge any information, even to Mikasa. She continues, "Mikasa, I want to ask you something important. Eren mentioned he was going to say that he 'hated you' at the restaurant. Do you truly believe that?"

"I'm not sure..." Mikasa hesitates. "I want to believe that it wasn't true..."

"Eren never wished to utter those words," Historia assures her. "Foreseeing the future and feeling powerless to alter it tormented him, leaving him with no choice but to say it. However, I want you to know that Eren never held any hatred towards you. He cherished having you as a sister, just as I cherish having you as a sister too."