Chapter 18

As Eren and his companions journey towards Marley, the anticipation of their arrival hangs heavy in the air. With Carla joining them on the ship, Historia grants permission for Jean to accompany the expedition as well.

"We've left the Beast, Colossal, and the Jaws back on the island while five Titans venture to Marley," Aya observes.

"Indeed. So, Gloria, what's the plan?" Eren inquires, his gaze shifting to the War Hammer Titan shifter who leans against the bars.

"Our priority is securing our accommodations first. Then, we'll proceed to Fort Salta to assess their strategies," Gloria explains, her tone measured. "And we must minimize drawing attention. Marleyans still remember the catalyst of the Rumbling: Eren Yeager."

Eren redirects his attention to Jean and Mikasa. "Did Armin or the Alliance receive information about our imminent arrival in Marley?"

"I've informed them of our plans to journey to Marley. I need them to engage with the Zweiflusse Nation to grasp the situation," Jean responds.

"I might not place the same level of trust in Armin, Reiner, or the others as you do, but it's imperative to seek their assistance," Eren remarks thoughtfully.

As the ship docks in Marley and the group disembarks, a lingering tension remains palpable among them. Eren's reluctance to forgive Armin and the others casts a shadow over their interactions. Eventually, they reach Marley and make their way to Liberio, aiming for the Tybur residence.

"Marley! It looks so different..." Fay remarks, her eyes filled with curiosity.

Aya, quick to caution, adds, "Fay, Erich, be mindful. The people here harbor animosity toward Paradis Island. It's best not to voice such thoughts openly."

"We understand," Erich assures her.

Eren takes a moment to brief them, saying, "Remember, if anyone asks, you're Erich Kruger and Fay Kruger. Stick to those names, alright?"

"We've been using those names for a while now. We understand," Fay confirms.

"One more thing," Eren continues, addressing the adults, "refrain from calling me Eren. Call me Grey instead." The adults nod in acknowledgment, complying with Eren's request.

As they settle their belongings in the house, the group decides to venture out for a stroll. Eren's family and Mikasa's family walk together, accompanied by the children. At the harbor, amidst the serene setting, Eren's expression darkens, prompting Aya to inquire.

"What's on your mind, Grey?" Aya asks, concern etched in her voice.

Reflecting on the past, Eren speaks somberly, "The first time I set foot in this nation, I walked these streets alone, contemplating the looming threat of the Rumbling. Later, in an indeterminate future, I become the harbinger of their destruction. It's predetermined that I'll be the one to cause their demise. I envision a world where we couldn't secure Paradis Island's survival. Everything here—homes, lives, dreams—will vanish. They'll all perish by my hand."

Jean, Aya, and Mikasa wear furrowed brows, visibly affected by Eren's contemplations. Eren continues, wrestling with the weight of his thoughts, "And then I think of my mother. Shouldn't Eldians be the ones to face this fate? Just as the King of the Walls chose a path that led to death? It's true, if Eldians were to vanish completely, the Titan predicament would cease. But having learned the true history, I can't accept such an outcome."

"Eren..." Mikasa frowns.

Suddenly, Eren halts, his gaze fixating on the alleyway. "This alley... I remember encountering the same pickpocket who was being assaulted by others."