Chapter 12

Erich, Fay, and Carla find themselves wandering through Shiganshina District, their curiosity leading them to Eren's reconstructed old home. Fay remarks, "This was supposed to be where our Papa and your Mama lived in the past. Despite years of destruction, it looks like it's been rebuilt quite well."

"So, Carla, do you want to come in with us?" Erich asks, his hand gently holding Carla's as they stand before the house.

Carla blushes slightly but nods in agreement. They rush inside, discovering that the house appears just like any other, devoid of anything extraordinary.

Curious, Carla questions, "So, your Papa bought this house for you to stay in? Are we allowed to use everything here?"

Fay chimes in, "Absolutely, we're free to use everything. Beneath this house lies the basement that the former Survey Corps attempted to access. However, it seems Papa doesn't have anything down there now; he and Mama took everything away."

Leaving Eren's old house behind, Erich, Fay, and Carla settle by a tranquil stream. They gaze out at the sprawling wild fields as Erich begins, "This was Papa's spot. He used to read books here, tales of lava, deserts, and snowfields. They believed those who had seen such places were the freest in the world. Considering our reality now..."

"It's hard to fathom the harshness of their lives. Titans sent by Marley ravaging towns, devouring people... Papa witnessing Grandma being taken by his step-grandma's Titan," Fay remarks with a troubled expression.

Carla grips Erich's hand, voicing her concern, "Erich... what if our enemies return to attack again? Uncle Kruger managed to repel them with the Rumbling... do you think those enemies he defeated might come back?"

Erich's brow furrows in thought. "I'm not sure, but if they do, I'll defend the island, just like Papa did." Determination echoes in his words as he affirms his resolve to protect their homeland.

"Talking about your Papa and Mama's powers, do you both possess those incredible abilities?" Carla inquires with curiosity.

"We don't have those powers. Apparently, those abilities were bestowed upon them by Founder Ymir once they were resurrected. And once they pass away, those powers will fade too," Fay explains.

"I'd definitely love to have the same abilities as Papa and Mama. I've always wanted to understand what Fierheit was trying to communicate," Erich adds, his intrigue evident.

"Speaking of Fierheit, how did your father come across him?" Carla asks.

"Whenever I questioned Papa about it, he always dodged the topic. Maybe someday we can ask him directly," Fay suggests, receiving nods of agreement from the others. The mystery surrounding Fierheit's origins remains, leaving them with the hope of uncovering the truth someday.

Back at the house in the village, Eren is feeding Fierheit, the dove, when Jean approaches him. "Eren, that dove you have there... that's the same one you befriended back in the training camps, isn't it?"

"You're spot on, Jean. He's been by my side since that night we saved him," Eren affirms. "I didn't realize he'd been keeping tabs on me until the moment I triggered the Rumbling. In the paths, I managed to communicate with him for the first time, and he chose to be my eyes and ears, observing your movements when I was among the Colossal Titans."

"It's surprising that he wasn't killed by the Titans or taken by natural predators," Jean remarks. "Doves typically only live for about a year on average."

"This little guy is different, special. He symbolizes a part of me," Eren explains. "These days, I use him to send messages to Historia or locate my lost children. Sometimes Erich and Fay wander off, and he helps me find their whereabouts."