Chapter 9

Nightfall blankets the surroundings as Eren and the others gather for a barbecue outdoors. The children, wearing cheerful expressions, enjoy their meal, eagerly awaiting Eren's promised tale of his past. Jean and Mikasa join the gathering, although they are already familiar with Eren's history, having been part of his journey.

Meanwhile, the remaining observers stay hidden in the shadows, eavesdropping on the conversation unfolding before them.

"Let me start from the beginning, Fay, Erich," Eren begins. "Do you know why I named you Fay, Fay?"

Fay responds, "Because you mentioned having an aunt named Fay, right? I was named after her."

"Yes, but what I didn't tell you is that she passed away. She died before I was born, even before my brother's birth. She was merely six years old when she passed."

The revelation stuns everyone present. Eren continues, "Her death occurred because my father inadvertently took her outside the Marley internment zone. It's an unfair consequence of the world's hatred towards Eldians, inherited from our ancestors."

Erich voices his anguish, "It's not fair. Our ancestors weren't even alive then. Why did she have to suffer because of them?"

"That was the catalyst for the story. After losing his sister, my father opposed the idea and joined the Eldia Restorationists, a group that Peter was once a part of," Eren explains.

Surprised, Jean directs a question to Peter, "You were part of the Eldia Restorationists?"

Peter sighs, confirming, "Yes, I was."

Eren continues, "My father could decipher texts in an ancient language, revealing that much of the history depicting Eldians as world oppressors were false. Eldians actually contributed positively—cultivating lands, constructing bridges, and enriching societies. Other nations' envy and greed led to their attacks on Eldia. However, their own greed and desire for Titan power caused their downfall."

"Why would the governments lie to other people?" Laura asks.

Laura's question prompts Gloria to respond, "In Marley's case, they sought to wield Titan power as their military might against the world. As for others, the inherent fear and prejudice against Eldians, labeling us as descendants of devils, motivated their actions."

Wade interjects, expressing his frustration, "But that's not fair!"

"Life isn't always fair, that's why the Eldia Restorationists exist," Peter remarks solemnly. "Our primary informant, known as the Owl, provided critical information. Dina Fritz, a member of the Royal Family like our Queen Historia, was sent by him. She revealed that the initial Reiss King sympathized with the Marleyans' struggle to obtain the Titan powers. To manipulate events, he orchestrated a scenario where Eldians turned against each other. Amidst this chaos, a Marleyan figure named Helos was established as a hero, while the King fled to this island with most Eldians."

Gloria adds, "The Tybur Family, including us, played a role in transferring seven of the nine Titan powers to Marley. In return, we were the only Eldians spared from global hatred."

"But that means we're traitors!" Laura expresses frustration.

"You're right, Laura. However, we've just scratched the surface of the story. Please continue, Eren," Gloria urges, acknowledging the weight of their family's actions in this complex history.

"Thank you, Gloria," Eren acknowledges before continuing his narrative. "Following our escape to this island, the initial Reiss king employed Colossal Titans to erect three walls and erase our memories of the past. His sole pursuit was peace, promising to unleash the Rumbling upon any attack from other nations. This was his message to the world. Yet, he himself refrained from resorting to the Rumbling, taking a vow to limit the Founding Titan's capabilities."