Chapter Eight

~ Chapter Eight: Bilbo's Party ~

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

    Gandalf strides up to the garden path of Bag End. He raises his staff and raps on the front door, then waits for a second.

"No, thank you!" A voice calls out, "We don't want any more visitors, well wishers, or distant relations!"

"And what about very old friends?"

Suddenly the door opens, and a wide-eyed Bilbo Baggins stands before him, wearing a dashing brocade waistcoat for the party

"Gandalf?" He whispers excitedly.

"Bilbo Baggins!"

"My dear Gandalf!"

The Wizard drops to his knee to embrace his old friend.

"It's so good to see you! One hundred and eleven years old, who would believe it?" He inspects his Hobbit friends' face carefully. "You haven't aged a day."

The two laugh, then walk towards the entrance of the house. "Come on, come in! Welcome, welcome."

Bilbo leads Gandalf into Bag End, cluttered with souvenirs of his travels, but cozy. Gandalf has to stoop to avoid hitting his head on the low ceiling. Bilbo hangs up Gandalf's hat on a peg and trots off down the hall.

"Tea?" He calls, "Or maybe something stronger? I've got a few bottles of the Old Winyard left... 1296, very good year. Almost as old as I am! It was laid down by my father. What say we open one, eh?"

Bilbo disappears into the kitchen as Gandalf looks around, enjoying the familiarity of Bag End. He turns, knocking his head on the light and then walking into the wooden beam. He groans.

"I was expecting you some time last week." Bilbo calls from the kitchen, "Not that it matters, you come and go as you please. Always have done, always will."

Gandalf starts looking around.

"You've caught me a bit unprepared, I'm afraid." Says Bilbo, "We've only got cold chicken, bit of pickle, some cheese here... ooh, no, that might be a little risky."

Gandalf stops in front of a framed map; Thorin's map of the Lonely Mountain. The Wizard smiles to himself.

"Er, we've got raspberry jam and apple tart... got some custard somewhere. Not much for afters, I'm afraid. Oh no, we're alright! I've just found some sponge cake. Nice little snack, hope it's enough." Bilbo comes into view and says, "I could do you some eggs if you like?"

Bilbo looks around, and finds that Gandalf isn't there. He jumps slightly, when he hears a loud voice from behind him.

"Just tea, thank you."