Chapter Sixy Five

~ Chapter Sixty Five: The News ~

••••••••••••••••••••

         Esmeralda rocked ten-month-old Drogo in her arms, as she sung to him.

"Lay down... Your sweet and weary head. Night is falling, you have come to journey's end. Sleep now, and dream of the ones who came before... They are calling, from across the distant shore..."

Frodo walked in the door, and silently watched with a small smile on his face.

"Why do you weep? What are these tears upon your face? Soon you will see... All of your fears will pass away, safe in my arms. You're only sleeping. What can you see... On the horizon? Why do the white gulls call? Across the sea, a pale moon rises, the ships have come to carry you home. And all will turn... To silver glass... A light on the water, all souls pass..."

Esmeralda looked up at Frodo, and smiled at him.

"Hope fades... Into the world of night. They are calling, out of memory and time... Don't say, we have come now to the end... White shores are calling, you and I will meet again, and you'll be here in my arms... Just sleeping. What can you see... On the horizon? Why do the white gulls call? Across the sea, a pale moon rises. The ships have come to carry you home. And all will turn... To silver glass. A light on the water, grey ships pass, into the west."

Drogo had finally fallen asleep, and Esmeralda gently placed him in his crib. She pulled the blanket up to his chest, and quietly walked out of the room.

"Good job, Love." Frodo whispered, grabbing her waist and kissing her.

She grinned into the kiss, then pulled away after a moment. "Thanks."

They stared into each other's eyes, before she said, "I'm goin' to bed now. I have a huge headache."

Frodo's eyebrows scrunched up in concern. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I've just haven't been sleepin' enough lately, I guess."

Frodo nodded, then softly kissed her forehead. "Good night, Esmeralda. I love you."

"I love ya too."

She walked into their bedroom, with her head pounding with every step. She dressed into her nightgown, and climbed into bed. After tossing and turning for an hour, she finally fell asleep.

             The bright sun pouring into the room made Esmeralda wake from her deep sleep. She slowly sat up, with her head still pounding. She groaned, right before Frodo walked in.

"Ah, you're up." He acknowledged. "I was coming in here to wake you. It's getting pretty late."

She looked at him in surprise. "Late? I never sleep in."

He shrugged, before reaching in and kissing her on the lips. "How's your head?"

She sighed. "It still hurts."

He looked at her sadly, before brushing her hair out of her eyes. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright." She stretched, then got out of bed. "Is Drogo awake?" She put on her clothes, as Frodo made the bed.

"Yes, he's on the highchair in the kitchen, waiting for breakfast."

"Thanks, Frodo."

He smiled. "You're welcome, Love."

A minute later, Esmeralda walked out of the room to the kitchen. Drogo was sitting on his highchair, sucking on his knuckle.

"Hello, my big boy." Esmeralda said, before planting many kisses on his cheeks.