Chapter Fifty Three

~ Chapter Fifty Three: Passing of Théoden ~

••••••••••••

Back in Minas Tirith, the Witch King and his creature fly around, as a Troll attacks the door with his mace. On the other side of the door, soldiers stand in readiness, and Gandalf and Pippin sit together, waiting.

"I didn't think it would end this way." Pippin says, looking up at Gandalf.

"End?" He repeats, looking down at his young friend. "No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it."

"What, Gandalf? See what?"

Gandalf smiles. "White shores and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

"Well..." Pippin smiles back. "...that's not so bad."

"No. No it isn't."

Back at the door, the soldiers are trying to prevent them breaking through. Gandalf nods encouragement at Pippin, and the Hobbit closes his eyes, trying to gain more courage.

Back on the field of battle, the Rohirrim continue to fight the Oliphaunts.

"Rally to me!" Théoden yells. "To me!"

He sees the Witch King flying towards him, and he stares in shock. The fell beast catches up Théoden and his horse in its mouth, and throws them both down. Éowyn watches in horror, as the beast moves towards them.

"Feast on his flesh." The Witch King commands his best.

Théoden looks up from the ground, unable to move, as he is trapped under the horse. The beast moves towards him, until Éowyn moves in front of her uncle to defend him.

"I will kill you if you touch him." She says.

"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his prey."

The beast lunges at her, and she steps aside and cuts off its head. It falls down, dead. The Witch King turns towards her, as she picks up a wooden shield and approaches him. He swings his massive mace at her, and she manages to avoid it several times, but eventually he catches her, shattering the shield and breaking her arm. She falls down, screaming in pain, and he towers over her.

Meanwhile, a ship draws up to a shore, as Orc's wait impatiently.

"Late as usual, pirate scum!" An Orc yells. "There's knifework here that needs doing! Come on you sea rats, get off your ships!"

Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas and Sam jump off the ship, and the Orcs look surprised. They begin to approach the them, and Gimli smiles.

"There's plenty for the both of us, may be best Dwarf win!"