Chapter Fifty Two

~ Chapter Fifty Two: Burned Alive ~

••••••••••••••

Fireballs continue to rain down on the city, and Gandalf is running around.

"Retreat!" He yells. "The city is breached! Fall back to the second level! Get the women and children out! Get them out! Retreat!"

"Come on, come on!" A soldier hurries people through the gate, before closing them.

Outside the city, the Orcs continue to stand.

"Move into the city." Gothmog says. "Kill all in your path."

The Orcs move into the city, killing everyone they come across.

"Take them down!" An Orc yells.

Women scream as they try to get away, and men are butchered.

"Fight!" Gandalf yells. "Fight to the last man! Fight for your lives!"

"Gandalf!" Pippin yells, running up to the Wizard. "Gandalf! Denethor has lost his mind! He's burning Faramir alive!"

Gandalf's eyes grew, and he grabs Pippin by the arm.

"Up! Quickly!"

He swings him up onto Shadowfax, and they gallop towards the upper levels. Suddenly, as they come out of a tunnel, the Witch King alights on his fell beast in front of them. Gandalf holds out his staff sideways, in front of hi. 

"Go back to the abyss! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your master!"

"Do you not know death when you see it, old man?" The Witch King asks, as Pippin screams, hiding behind Gandalf. "This is my hour!"

He draws his sword, which bursts into flames

He draws his sword, which bursts into flames. Suddenly, Gandalf's staff bursts in his grasp, throwing him and Pippin from Shadowfax.

"Gandalf!" Pippin yells.

The fell beast roars in Gandalf's face, and Pippin draws his sword and runs towards it. The best roars at Pippin, and he stops in fear. Shadowfax prances around in fright, and Gandalf looks up from the floor.

"You have failed!" The Witch King mocks. "The world of men will fall!"

He lifts his sword, but a horn sounds in the distance. He turns to it and listens, looks back at Gandalf, and then flies off.

On the battlefield, Gothmog also hears the horn. The Rohirrim line up against the skyline, and the horsemen advance. Théoden looks down on the battlefield, as Éowyn puts her arm around Merry's shoulder.

"Courage Merry." She whispers. "Courage for our friends."