Bargaining

They're eating lunch—they almost always end up eating in the student union together, even if they bluster about making other plans--and Dazai seems a little bit more quiet

"..." Chuuya pokes the tip of his french fry against Dazai's cheek before popping it in his mouth, "What's up?"

Dazai glances up with a slight start, "Huh?"

Chuuya stares him down for a moment before shrugging, "You look like you're thinking pretty hard about something."

"Yeah..." Dazai takes a deep breath. He's been debating—whether or not he actually wants to tell Chuuya about it, but... "It's probably something you should know."

Chuuya nods, trying not to feel like too much of a hypocrite. "Then tell me."

"...My dad is making me meet someone."

Chuuya blinks, raising an eyebrow. "Because of the stuff with your grandfather?"

Dazai nods, feeling exhausted with the prospect. "Sort of."

"What do you mean, 'sort of'?"

"...A girl." Dazai admits quietly, and Chuuya is confused--until he isn't.

"Oh."

They both know, Dazai doesn't technically owe Chuuya an explanation, but they both feel the need for one.

"I just have to show up," Dazai explains softly. "But honestly, she doesn't seem like my type."

Chuuya glances down at his drink, pretending to be casual "She doesn't?"

Dazai snorts, shaking his head. "Her father owns a hotel chain, and as far as I understand, her interests aren't much more expansive than designer purses and vacations to Fiji."

"I don't know," Chuuya mutters, picking at the lid of his cup. "I thought every girl was your type."

"Fair," Dazai snorts, "but this isn't about sleeping with her, and if I was going to have someone for more than just a one night stand, they'd have to be pretty special."

It's right there, waiting for him to pick up on, but Chuuya doesn't hear it. "Meaning?"

Dazai shrugs. "She's a brat," he explains, "but she's not my kind of brat."

Chuuya is quiet for a couple of moments before bringing his drink up to his lips. "Your dad wants you to get married, then?"

"...Engaged, at least." Dazai shrugs. "I don't think he'll push for a wedding for a couple of more years."

The very idea makes Chuuya's stomach twist painfully, and he hates, hates the idea of it, but... who the hell even knows if Chuuya is still going to be around in a couple of years?

Maybe it's for the best.

But Chuuya still feels...mind bendingly jealous, but as far as he knows, he does a good job of not showing it.

At first.

And of course it's ridiculous, because he shouldn't be jealous, there's no reason to be. Dazai already said it pretty bluntly: he can't be Chuuya's boyfriend.

He isn't Chuuya's boyfriend.

Which is exactly why he pretends to be unbothered, focused on sketching out a piece on his tablet when Dazai slips out of their room a couple of days later, his piercings removed, looking remarkably put together, but for someone else.

Not like that matters.