On the Count of Three

Tw// pedophilia, suicide, victim blaming, emotional manipulation, and violence
---

Of course, given the seriousness of Chuuya's surgery, the bounce back isn't immediate.

It's two months of physical therapy every single day. Some of which are harder than others. But he gets stronger, his color comes back—

And all of the things he had to give up finally seem possible again.

"How's the divorce hearing going?" Odasaku questions, leaning back against his car—brand new, Italian—a gift from Dazai. 'Just because,' of course.

Dazai takes a swig of his drink, watching as Atsushi plays in the front yard with one of his friends from his new school—a dark haired boy with jagged bangs.

"Ryuu!" The little boy laughs, chasing his friend through the grass, almost tripping over the toys they have strewn around on the ground. "You're too fast!"

"That's the point of tag, dummy!"

"Apparently she's trying to drag it out, to see if I change my mind..."

"And will you?"

Dazai snorts. "Dad makes plenty to be comfortable, and if he didn't, I could always transfer money to Sophie..." he shrugs. "But Dad will get a court order before it comes to that."

"You think he'll go that far?"

"No one in the family is running for an election right now, why wouldn't he?"

Oda sighs, scratching the back of his head. "I guess you're right, I just can't help but feel like she...I don't know. You really think she's gonna give up on 500 billion yen that easily?"

Dazai thinks it over, taking another swig. "I mean—she might have a plan, but coming from her—I'm not worried."

Oda doesn't seem entirely sure of that, but he nods. "You know her better than me."

"And what are you gonna do?"

Oda raises an eyebrow. "Me?"

"Well," Dazai shrugs. "It's not like you need the job at the garage anymore—unless you wanna stay there."

The auburn-haired man is quiet for a moment, watching the kids play. "Well—I actually thought I might use that trust for what grandpa intended."

Dazai raises an eyebrow. "You're going to university?"

"Well—I had that acceptance, remember? I've got a year left till it expired. I know it sounds crazy, but—"

Dazai cuts him off, shaking his head with a smile. "I don't think it sounds crazy at all."

Oda smiles back at him, and it's nervous, but genuine. "I guess there won't be any more members left in the Family Disappoint club, huh?"

Dazai snorts, reaching over to squeeze his brother's shoulder. "You were never really in that club either, you know."

Oda's lips twitch as he reaches up to cover Dazai's hand with his own, patting it. "You're a pretty decent little brother, you know that?"

Dazai grins back at him. "A little more than decent."

The scene is broken by the car pulling up the driveway, coming to a stop near the garage as Hirotsu cuts the engine.

"That'll be Chuuya, right?" Dazai nods, straightening up. "Wasn't today his last day of therapy?"

"Hopefully," Dazai quips, starting off in that direction before hesitating, turning back to look at his brother. "Do you need me to--?"

Odasaku snorts, shaking his head. "Go ahead, lover boy—I need to drop Ryuu back off at home anyway."