Chapter Nine: March 13th, 1876, Just Past Canton, Mississippi

Elu awoke from what little sleep she'd finally managed to get as knocking came from the door to their sleeping cabin and with sluggish movements she answered it, finding it to be Charlie. "Morning."

"Good mornin', sir. This mornin' we have oatmeal and a bowl of fresh berries for you and your lady." He was holding their breakfast and she took it back inside, nodding to him as he tipped his hat and left.

As soon as the door was closed and locked, she turned around, finding Beth just waking up. "How do you feel?"

"In pain, but I will live." She sat up and held her left shoulder as she did, wincing once she was fully settled. "Thank you."

Bethany shivered as she attempted moving her arm, prompting Elu to finally check it. As she did, she found herself entranced by the softness of her skin and began caressing her shoulder, hearing her release an odd sound. Wide-eyed, she stared at Elu, then appeared rather confused before sitting straight once more. It was like Bethany felt this connection, this heat that always appeared whenever they were alone, but wasn't sure what to make of it. Until she brought it up, Elu felt oddly content to watch each and every one of her enamouring reactions.

"I think the dressing is fine for now. Let's eat, shall we?" Elu placed the food tray along Bethany's lap and took her place in the window sill, deciding to give her rising ardor rest for now.

She stared out of the window and began thinking of the feelings stirring within herself, recalling some of her father's words to her when she was but a child. You will not know what to call it, you have not sought it out, but it will be yours and it will be love. Elu thought about the oddity of the feelings swarming within herself, what she learned on the road in her travels amongst many native cultures, and slowly realized her need to protect Bethany was out of more than just some childhood crush. Yes, she always knew she loved her, but this was intensified and all-consuming, quickly overtaking her with such force she wasn't sure she would ever be prepared. Especially for the inevitable rejection she would most assuredly face. She had the most genuine feelings for her she'd ever felt and was suddenly reminded of the Navajo whom she'd been lucky to meet in her years-long journey. She was in love with a woman. Again. Yet with such passion as to sweep her away, possibly to a higher plain, or the more likely toward something dark like that of her last ill-fated tryst.

How had she let this happen again and why did it have to be the strongest she'd ever felt?

"Nadleehi..."

"What was that?" Bethany chimed in, breaking through her thoughts.

Elu realized she said it aloud and tried to brush it off with the wave of her hand. "It's nothing. Just something my father told me."

"He will be alright, Elu." Bethany pat the bed beside herself and nodded for her to join her. "In fact, I surmise he will do even better now that he knows you are at least alive. Perhaps, when all this is over..."

"Yes?" Elu sat next to her and picked a berry from her bowl, then Bethany shook her head.

"It's nothing. Where is your meal?"

"I ate some jerky earlier while you rested." As the morning sun broke through the clouds and the trees surrounding the train tracks, it danced along Bethany's skin, making her natural blush appear to almost glow. "Just peckish now..."

Bethany smiled as she moved her bowl of fruit closer and they began sharing it. "How much further until Jackson?"

"Only around thirty miles. We should be there by noontime. It's really too bad nothing much came of visiting Nashville, but I was thinking... Would you like to rest in a boarding house until the train leaves the following morning?" Elu peered beside herself and grabbed her rucksack resting on the floor just under the bed bunk. She hoisted it into her lap, locating the map inside, then put the bag back and unfolded the parchment. "We should at least check if anyone there has heard of your... Of Russel or not. Perhaps someone might have some information and we also need to get some more salve for your wound."